Coolermaster PSU explosion

edited December 2006 in Hardware
I am not joking the brand new Coolermaster PSU (eXtreme Power 430W - RS-430-PCAR) literally exploded last night. I was working in the next room and heard a loud bang from the other room. Even my wife had heard it from the other side of the house. I ran to the room; the computer was down and the room was filled with a burning plastic smell. I Immediately disconnected everything and opened the case; everything was looking fine other than the smell coming from the power supply. When I was installing one of the spare PSU's, I was trying to estimate which components were also gone with the PSU, the mobo, a good graphics card, a dual core Athlon64, or the Ballistix RAM? Fortunately, everything worked fine the moment I turned the system on. With this kind of quality control at Coolermaster, overvoltage protection could have failed as well. :rant::rant::rant:
Beware !!!

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Ouch...! That is not good. Have you contacted Coolermaster yet..? They could have a problem on their horizon!
  • edited December 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    Ouch...! That is not good. Have you contacted Coolermaster yet..? They could have a problem on their horizon!

I might contact them later, I am too angry now. I will avoid the brand after this anyway. I am sending back to Newegg for RMA replacement, and will keep the replacement for backup only. :shakehead
  • edited December 2006
    I had a Channelwell-built Antec do much the same to me around 1 1/2 years ago. I was sitting in the computer room browsing forums and the folding rig with the Antec psu suddenly popped and started a deadly arcing noise, then popped the circuit breaker. And the clouds of nasty smoke too. And like you, I was lucky in that it didn't take out any other components either, but it scared the crap out of me because not only did it make the loud noises, but I could also see the damn sparks flying out of the back of the computer too.:wow2: The psu in question was around 2 years old when this happened and I RMA'd it back to Antec and they sent me a new psu back.
  • edited December 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    I had a Channelwell-built Antec do much the same to me around 1 1/2 years ago. I was sitting in the computer room browsing forums and the folding rig with the Antec psu suddenly popped and started a deadly arcing noise, then popped the circuit breaker. And the clouds of nasty smoke too. And like you, I was lucky in that it didn't take out any other components either, but it scared the crap out of me because not only did it make the loud noises, but I could also see the damn sparks flying out of the back of the computer too.:wow2: The psu in question was around 2 years old when this happened and I RMA'd it back to Antec and they sent me a new psu back.

Really? You know what? My other computer is now running with a Channelwell-built Antec SP-500. I think I am good at picking up explosive PSUs :sawed: Did you use the replacement, is it still running?
  • edited December 2006
    Yeah, I still use the replacement. They sent me a Smartpower 400 to replace my older psu, which was a PP412 (or something like that). I have no issues with using my Antec psu's as I figure that the blowout was a fluke. Plus I had the sucker loaded to the gills for the whole of it's life too, powering an AMD dually MP machine for most of it's life. I still have the Smartpower 400, A Smartpower 450 and a Truecontrol 550 in use in my farm rigs.
  • edited December 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yeah, I still use the replacement. They sent me a Smartpower 400 to replace my older psu, which was a PP412 (or something like that). I have no issues with using my Antec psu's as I figure that the blowout was a fluke. Plus I had the sucker loaded to the gills for the whole of it's life too, powering an AMD dually MP machine for most of it's life. I still have the Smartpower 400, A Smartpower 450 and a Truecontrol 550 in use in my farm rigs.

Thanks, I will not be anxiously watching my Antec then :D
  • edited December 2006
    In the last couple of years I have had about a hundred PS. I had 2 failures a CoolerMaster 550 SLI (Lucky I won it so no $$$ lost) and a Sunbeam PS. Both blew their caps. That has to be one of the worst sounds I have ever heard, followed by a puff of smoke.:sad2:

I have Antec (no probs) but my favorite is Silverstone. The Silverstone looks nicer, has better heatsinks and is just better made inside.

To me Coolermaster is equivalent to Ultras low end stuff.