Norton GoBack - any good?

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Science & Tech
I just got a used laptop and it came with Norton GoBack version 3.50.174 installed. Wondering if it's worth keeping on there just for kicks or should I ditch it. I am not the one to always remember doing backups, so it might come in handy one day, but if people think it doesn't work anyhow or slows down the computer excessively, I'd rather not have it!

Many thanks

Frank

Comments

• fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    To answer my own question, I disabled the program earlier today, and the performance improvement in the laptop is unbelievable! Since it asks me every time I reboot if I want to enable it again, I think it's going to be de-installed pretty soon :D

Frank
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Norton GoBack was Roxio GoBack before Symantec bought it and backed up things when the registry was affected. Its monitoring and automatic backing up does take a lot of resources.

IMHO, not needed with Me, 2000, or XP at all. It was popular in the era of 98 and 98SE which had no backup facilities in them.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited January 2007
    if you want a save your butt type of program its pretty good... untill it breaks. ive seen allot of problems caused by goback. sometimes it goes into a reboot loop and things get pretty messy.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    fmueller wrote:
    I just got a used laptop and it came with Norton GoBack version 3.50.174 installed. Wondering if it's worth keeping on there just for kicks or should I ditch it. I am not the one to always remember doing backups, so it might come in handy one day, but if people think it doesn't work anyhow or slows down the computer excessively, I'd rather not have it!
    Many thanks
    Frank
    With the advent of System Restore, Norton GoBack (formerly Roxio GoBack as previously mentioned) has pretty much become obsolete. It gets in the way, too, of HDD management utilities. (e.g. imaging, partitioning, etc.) To perform HDD maintenance like imaging and partitioning, GoBack has to be disabled. Since HDDs have gotten so large, this can be a lengthy ergo tedious process.

By far, keeping a recent image of your HDD and regularly and often backing up your data will pretty much obviate the need for a utility like GoBack. In addition, as previously mentioned, GoBack can be quite the resource hog.