mozilla not saving bookmarks

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Science & Tech
Mt mozilla isnt creating bookmarks properly...it saves it as a blank bookmark,.and the only way i can save it as a ""properly labeled" bookmark is to CHANGE the name of the bookmark in the dialog box and to change the folder... i tried reinstalling it twice and NOTHING

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    Mt mozilla isnt creating bookmarks properly...it saves it as a blank bookmark,.and the only way i can save it as a ""properly labeled" bookmark is to CHANGE the name of the bookmark in the dialog box and to change the folder... i tried reinstalling it twice and NOTHING

Try Seamonkey 1.1. Mozilla and Seamonkey may handle things such as Bookmarks differently. Seamonkey 1.1 replaces Mozilla. Both Thunderbird and FireFox code is present in Seamonkey 1.1 which is for those who want a program interface that supports both email and browsing combined. Seamonkey was recoded using Mozilla, Thunderbird, and FireFox code, and replaces Mozilla completely.

Note that Seamonkey was coded for speed, and compact code-- it's faster than Mozilla. IT will work with Java JREs. It avoids ActiveX. ActiveX in XP has security holes in it that have been published on security sites I frequent as containing hacker holes. Vista also has ActiveX holes that I have seen documented.

EDIT: You can find some of the configuration variables for Mozilla by typing about:config in its address bar. I have not played MUCH with that screen.

The bookmark variables can be changed by clicking the one you want to change and then changing what is in the row following the variable name. One or more of those variables is corrupt. Since Seamonkey has its own variables and Mozzila installer imports settings and email from a previous mozilla install normally, you are importing the corrupted settings from the previous Mozilla and either bookmarking is disabled or one or more configuration files for Mozzila are corrupt.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    The nice thing about the Mozilla line of browsers (Netscape, Sea Monkey, Firefox, Thunderbird] is that they are so customizable and easily fixed. This is primarily because the Mozilla browsers do such a good job of isolating the browser's user profiles from its program files. As a result, usually, problems can be fixed by repairing the browser user profile or - if that fails - creating a new profile.

To address the issue you are having, we can 1st make the educated guess that it is an issue w/ the browser user profile and not the program itself. To that end, if you'd like to stay w/ Mozilla Firefox, then, try the following:
    1. Copy your Mozilla Firefox shortcut
    2. Name the copy [Mozilla Firefox Profiles Manager]
    3. Right-click on the icon and select [PROPERTIES]
    4. Enter the following into the TARGET box: ["C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -profilemanager] (w/out the brackets; a space between the last (") and (-))
    5. The following (if installation defaults were used) should be in the [START IN] box:
    6. "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox"
    7. Click [OK]
    8. Now, double-click on the icon
    9. Remove the check mark from the [DON'T ASK AT STARTUP] box.
    10. Click on the [Create Profile] button
    11. Follow the prompts to create your new profile (Note: You can choose exactly what you'd like to name the profile directory and where you'd like this profile's data to reside. IOW, it does not have to reside buried in your user profile system files.)
    12. Click the [START FIREFOX] button
    13. Now try out your bookmarks. (Your old bookmarks won't be there as this is a seperate browser user profile. Just try creating new bookmarks and see if it works properly.)
    14. If they work properly now, then likely your [bookmarks.html] file became corrupted
    15. Navigate to the directory where your original profile is located.
    16. Normally, you can find it in [C:\Documents and Settings\%youruserprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\%youroriginalprofiledirectory%\
    17. Rename [bookmarks.html] to [bookmarksold.html]
    18. Rename [bookmarks.bak] to [bookmarks.html]
    19. Now, using the Mozilla Profile Manager icon, open Firefox again and choose your original profile.
    20. Try out your bookmarks now.
    21. If that doesn't work, you can go back to older [bookmarks.html] files by going into your [bookmarkbackups] directory and substituting one-at-a-time each file from there for your [bookmarks.html] file.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    thanks man that totally worked... w3rd up!
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    thanks man that totally worked... w3rd up!
    Glad it worked WuGgaRoO..... emmmm "w3rd up"? :scratch:

ps: not "man" (see sig...) :wink: