SMP client on MacBook

edited March 2007 in Folding@Home
Just for kicks, I tried FAH SMP client on my wife's Macbook yesterday. 2GHz Core2 CPU temperature went upto 80C :hair: CPU actually started to throttle and the complete notebook heated up as if it was going to melt. I wonder what is the point of placing this CPU in the notebook if you can not run anything at full capacity. My $40 PCChips Mobo is a more respectable piece of hardware than this $1200 toy. :rolleyes2

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I haven't heard of them heating up like that under full load... maybe something is wrong.
  • edited February 2007
    I haven't heard of them heating up like that under full load... maybe something is wrong.

Do you think this notebook in particular could have a problem? :scratch: I would really appreciate if someone can confirm that SMP client runs without any heating problem on a Macbook (Core2 2GHz). Then maybe I can contact Apple for service. What a hassle! :mad: I say maybe because my wife does not care about this problem since she only uses the web browser, word processor, and email programs. But still it would be good to know.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    Just browsed at the folding forums, http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic18077.html

On my desktop machines running Linux, the SMP client actually runs a little cooler as they run the CPU's at less than 100%.
  • edited February 2007
    Donut wrote:
    Just browsed at the folding forums, http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic18077.html

On my desktop machines running Linux, the SMP client actually runs a little cooler as they run the CPU's at less than 100%.

Thanks Donut, I should have done the search before. There is so much good info. Thanks again. :thumbup

Heat is confirmed, but I did not know there was a utility for undervolting CPU in Mac. I had done that in my current Dell notebook by lowering the core voltage from 1.4v to 1.0v @ 1.3 GHz and 1.0v to 0.7v @ 600MHz using RightMark CPUClock utility. It not only reduced heat but also increased the battery life slightly. I will try this on Mac now :bigggrin: You guys are great!
  • edited February 2007
    There is only one software that I could find for undervolting CPU in Macbook. It is called Coolbook (not shareware or freeware), and its functionality is nowhere near RMClock (which is free) in Windows. As far as I read in some forums, Coolbook disregards (or disables) Speedstep, i.e. Core2 processor runs at constant frequency and voltage. It is too primitive in my opinion, has anybody tried this? Actually there is no trial, I should have said bought ($10).
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    mirage wrote:
    There is only one software that I could find for undervolting CPU in Macbook. It is called Coolbook (not shareware or freeware), and its functionality is nowhere near RMClock (which is free) in Windows. As far as I read in some forums, Coolbook disregards (or disables) Speedstep, i.e. Core2 processor runs at constant frequency and voltage. It is too primitive in my opinion, has anybody tried this? Actually there is no trial, I should have said bought ($10).

http://geeklimit.com/2006/11/07/macbook-heat-issues-resolved/

meh?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Also, mirage, is your wife's MacBook up to date in terms of software and firmware updates? IIRC, a couple months ago, Apple released an update to address laptop cooling.
  • edited March 2007
    I have updated the OS but I did not check the firmware; I will do. Regarding the fan control, fan was too noisy at full speed when FAH was running. That's why I did not try higher rpm fan settings. I know those software, and I will try them too.

Thanks guys
  • edited March 2007
    I checked the OS and firmware, they are all latest version. I have also installed fancontrol. With that installed, when I load both cores (using "yes > /dev/null" command), temperature still goes upto ~80C. I will wait until someone comes up with a nice software similar to RMClock to undervolt. Anyway, my wife asked me to stop tinkering with her computer. :rolleyes: