Spend my money on a new computer!

DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
edited April 2007 in Hardware
At the recommendation of my girlfriend, I'm going to get a new computer. :eek: No. You read that right. She realizes that computers are my bread & butter, and that my current machine - while still very fast - is getting old and it’s time for an upgrade.

So, I’ve budgeted $2000+ for the project (About $1,700 US) and I’ve decided to base it on a Core 2 E6600. I started researching mobo+ram+video combinations and frankly, I’m a little overwhelmed by my ignorance. So I’m asking you guys and girls to help me sort out the possibilities. I use my computer for heavy duty Photoshop, Illustrator, Web design, Web dev server and competitive gaming. I’m also an avid overclocker. I will be keeping my CRT monitors, G5 mouse and KB but everything else is open.

So, I’m looking for recommendations for Operating System, HSF, motherboard, ram (2 x 1024), hard drives and video card. Must be DX10 capable as I see Crysis in my future. I must also be able to transfer the data from my old IDE HDs.

I’m not sure what to do with my current system. It’s a P4 2.4c overclocked to 3+ Ghz (currently running at 41C CPU and 33C Mobo while Folding), Arkua Heatpipe + AS5, Asus P4P800, 2 x 1024 OCZP5001GXTC 1:1 255Mhz 3-3-3-10, nVidia 7800GS, Enermax EG365P PSU, CDROM & Floppy, Enermax FS710 tower, 4 x 80 mm case fans and a couple of WD IDE hard drives. I suppose I could sell it, or maybe donate it to the SMX project.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I do pretty much what you do for a living and I'll tell you this: Don't get vista yet.

I built a c2d system for my primary graphic design / prepress system and I've been very happy with the performance of the asus p5b deluxe. Your video card is almost certainly going to be an 8800-series card, but I'll let the video guys chime in on that.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited March 2007
    No Vista, check! P5B Deluxe? Looking at the specs now...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Adobe CS2 doesn't run very well on Vista, but I just got a prerelease of CS3 (member of the Adobe Service Providers Network) and I'm going to evaluate how well it runs on Vista. It should be good, but I'll be sure to let you know. Still, you're a gamer, and I think Vista won't catch up to gamers for at least a year, maybe more.
    edited April 2007
    Aight, looks like I've settled on an 8800 series video card, Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard and XP for my OS... Now I need opinions on RAM and PSU
    edited April 2007
    How about this configuration?
    config1.gif