PHP reading recommendations for beginner

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited April 2007 in Internet & Media
Is there any web site or book that gives a good intro into PHP for a beginner? I have a basic knowledge of HTML and CSS - enough for me to get by - and would like to achieve the same for PHP, about which I know absolutely nothing.

Many thanks

Frank

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    well, php can parse html, but other than that it is really more of a programing language than a scripting language imo. So first I would go buy a beginners programming book to teach you the basic principles.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I've read Learning PHP5 by O'Reilly and it's pretty good. Really basic at first, so if you are new to PHP I think it would be up your alley.

I'm sure Keebs might have a few suggestions of his own, since he is one of our resident PHP ninjas.:ninja:

Cheers! :jared:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    That's true, I have a few! :D

I cut my teeth on PHP Visual Quickstart Guide (Larry Ullman), which I highly recommend as a way of getting started from the very, very basics. I believe there is also a PHP Visual Quickpro Guide guide that you can follow up with (Visual Quickstart/pro is a wide series of books on many coding and software topics).

After that, you will know enough to be dangerous :) I then turned to PHP Cookbook (O'Reilly) as my main "But how the heck do I do that?" resource once I had my grounding. Their "pocket guides" to CSS and HTML are never far from me either.

If you're really into making websites, a must read is Jeff Zeldman's Designing with Web Standards. It's a light and fun read, and it's been absolutely fundamental to starting me on the right path of practices when making a site :)

Let me know if you need any other resources... the list goes on and on, heh.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Many thanks, guys! This should give me plenty of light reading material over Easter :D

I'll let you know when I need more!

Greetings

Frank