Software for event planning

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited April 2007 in Internet & Media
Greetings! My family and I are beginning to try and organzie a group family vacation (cruise) for a number of family members scattered around the country. I'd like to create something that allows me to share information, creating a central point that all user's can access privately. This would allow me to coordinate schedules and fees, and provide the info to everyone equally. I could use email alone, but think the data sharing experience could add something to the trip planning for all concerned.

I'd like something like MS's Sharepoint, but not so huge, and free. Is a simple blog my best bet, a webpage, or is there something out there that will allow me to post info., allow my family members to post info., and keep it private to just our small group? Also, I'd like it to be SIMPLE..I want to plan our vacation, and if I can learn something in the process, great, but that's not the overall goal here.

So, all that said, what online products/tools are available for a personal project of this pretty small scale? Thanks!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Keebs might step in here and recommend basecamp.....
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    I would recommend Alfresco :)

Works very similar to Sharepoint services and is available for free.

If your hosting provider uses Windows 2003, you can also use the free version of Sharepoint services found here but obviously, they have to agree to it ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    His hosting provider uses linux ;)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Keebs might step in here and recommend basecamp.....
    ABSOLUTELY. It's a free (for the basic level), hosted service so you don't need to install anything. It's incredibly simple with no stupid extras no one uses, and it has a super-slick interface. We're using it for SM and I love it. I've never been able to regularly use a management system like this before.

http://www.basecamphq.com/