Buffalo Link Station Pro

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited May 2007 in Hardware
I've been looking to change out my NAS to a better performer. Most everything was saying this Link Station Pro was about as fast as they come for an NAS. Tom's rated it the fastest of the consumer rated ones (read that as under $600). Everything I read said it was fast. So I had a customer who was in the market for an NAS for the office buy one. (The perk of being an IT consultant). He got the 250GB version.

That dang thing is a little ripper. So I went ahead and ordered myself a 320GB version. I've had it about a month now and it does what they said. It has GB Lan, 320GB SATA-II internal drive (Seagate Cuda-10). OS is Linux of course. Web interface is clean and easy to understand. System is solid. I have 2 - USB2 external hard drives also connected to it. I have the internal SATA drive back itself up to an EXT3 USB drive so I have it all backed up.

Thing FTP's files at 30-38MB/sec. Large files transfer from 12-20MB/sec to the SATA and 12-18MB/sec to the USB's. If you enable large packets on the network it can hit near 40MB/sec from the LAN. Normal burst transfers are much quicker. It as good as when I tranfer to another computer on the LAN.

It does FTP and Appletalk, also supports Windows, domains, and active directories.Built in thermal controlled fan and it never makes a sound (so far). I have transferred several hundred GB's to and from it without an error. I've never had to reboot it. Just a solid little unit.

If someone is thinking about getting an NAS or a media server( Link Station Live is media server version) I don't think you could go wrong with this little guy. I think an excellent buy for around $180 bucks.

Just some FYI.