Budget sytem

Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
edited July 2003 in Hardware
My brother is in the market for a computer...his first computer

He wants something that's cheap, able to play the latest games, and has everything he needs (monitor, etc)

we're talking less than a thousand bucks here....I was going to suggest a name brand...but I just don't know

any system recomendations would be helpful

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    well stay away from dell b/c their psu's suck
  • edited July 2003
    Monarch Computers-- if he does not mind a P4 2GHz, try $700.00 or so shipped once you figure on other stuff you need beyond a barebones or base system and figure in operating system. Also look at Monarch's Hornet if looks are a big issue. Look at their specials and the Hornet, but get a monitor locally if at all possible-- costs more to ship those than to buy local many times as hipping a monitor suitable for gaming is likely to cost $30-50 dollars depending on timing and thigns like insurance (need this for a monitor, and ship Airborne or FedEx for monitors-- too many damaged ones via UPS for my tastes and FedEx saver is cheaper for big heavy things like monitors). LCDs would be a shipping exception, but would eliminate that budget totally. Depends partly on where and in what country you live, you probably should shop on West Coast if in US and near West Coast. Shipping costs will determine best total when you are talking a total system.

Dell now has extremely good pricing, but boring cases and not best for gaming. Prebundled cool looking gamer bundles are overpriced. But base systems are REASONABLE for some gaming these days.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/
    Click anywhere on main first screen for site.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited July 2003
    You could build this:
    AMD 2500 Retail-$92
    FIC A97 RADEON 9700 128MB DDR 8X AGP OEM
    Epox 8rda+-$85
    Kingston Value Ram 512 mb pc2700-$74
    ANTEC ALUMINUM SERIES LAN BOY MINI TOWER CASE - $80
    Lite On 52x32x52x-$45
    LITE-ON XJ-HD166S 16X DVD ROM Drive-$32
    Alps 3.5 Inch Floppy Disk Drive-$7
    WD WESTERN DIGITAL "SPECIAL EDITION" 80GB 7200RPM -$92
    Viewsonic G90FB 19" Black CRT Monitor-$245

Price w/o shipping $982
  • edited July 2003
    Other than making sure the LANBoy has a Power Supply for that price, that is a good system spec.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited July 2003
    LANBOY comes with a 350 w power supply with a blue led
  • edited July 2003
    If it as stock Antec, yes. I did not know that that one for that price from an unspecified source would do so. LOCAL retail for LANBoy (ANTEC case) is about $129.00. Either you are talking about a different case or shipping has added a lot to costs here in SouthEast part of US.
  • DoM-aLDoM-aL Indiana
    edited July 2003
    www.newegg.com Go look under antec cases and look at the $80 lanboy case. All my prices that I listed are from newegg.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    newegg.com is great overall but Monarch Computers has great deals on systems. I've ordered from both and have been happy every time.

Newegg.com is where I tend to go to first. Hope that helps. :D