How to delete folder after merging partitions with partition magic

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited April 2005 in Science & Tech
I just merged a couple partitions together so that I have one bigger one. I had win 2k and win xp and got rid of the wind 2k apps harddrive. It made me create a folder for the win2k apps harddrive and I don't want it. It won't let me delete it now, anyone know how to delete it?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2004
    are any of the win2k apps being used as part of your XP environment? Also what's the error message you are getting when you try and delete the folder?

You could try booting up in safemode or with the Recovery Console and deleting it that way.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited April 2004
    kryyst wrote:
    are any of the win2k apps being used as part of your XP environment? Also what's the error message you are getting when you try and delete the folder?

You could try booting up in safemode or with the Recovery Console and deleting it that way.

First off, the os and drivers and "necessary" software were not on that partition.
    Second, all is deleted, that I know of, it says 0 Megabytes are present.
    Third, win2k is history, and I'm not reinstalling it.
    And the error is:

(X) Cannot remove folder System Volume Information: The directory is not empty
    ___________________| OK |________________________
    edited April 2004
    have you gone into it through a command prompt and done a dir /ah to check for hidden files? It probably has some recyclebin files or some hidden files in it.
    edited April 2004
    yeah, i can't find nothing
    edited April 2004
    you may be stuck with it. It could be something there as some weird place holder from your partition merge. If there is nothing in it and it still says there is, I think you may be better off to just leave it. If you successfully delete it, it could potentially screw up your partition if it's some how tied into it.

One other test can you rename it? If you can't rename it then I'd definitely leave it alone.
    edited April 2004
    okay, atleast that was a test, I had 3 other partions across 2 comps that I wanted to do the same too
    edited April 2004
    Yup, experimentation is key to learning how not to screw up your computer.
    edited April 2004
    very true...
  • edited March 2005
    yagga wrote:
    very true...

Just found your topic since I was having the exact same problem. Did some playing around with it, and found that you can create a folder, then move the new folder that partition magic created into the folder you just created, then delete it. Don't ask me why it works this way, but it does.
    edited March 2005
    old memories! ...NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited April 2005
    Try Tip-ex :rarr:

@ wadster, Wot? that don't works

Key to succesfully deleting that folder is in the ACL, just rightclick that folder and choose security.

You will see that only the system has permission to manipulate that folder, add your user account with sufficient rights (Full Control) and then you can delete that folder. :kaka:

Remember to backup in case of disaster.

Cheers