Dual Monitors... Ahh!

edited July 2004 in Hardware
:jelly: Sorry im new and i just had to put the pb&j guy in so there it is, now on to the question. Alright so i have this computer. And in this computer there is this thing called a video card. That video card is a GeForce FX 5700 LE 256 mb etc etc.. So i had my monitor hooked up and while i was illegally downloading things (i.e. all the family guy episodes and one movie called Underworld ) i thought wow why cant i watch this on my big screen tv like 15 ft away??? So i made a trip to heaven, or commonly known as best buy, and asked some people round there what i can do. They told me to get some s-video cable and some audio cables to hook it up. And ladifreakinda! it works. But theres a catch! When i first started using it the desktop could be viewed fine, the sound worked more than perfect, but wait a second, whenever i tried to open up a movie all it did was play the sound. On the regular monitor it was viewing fine, but when viewed on the big screen the part where the movie should be is blank and black. So as i always love to do i played around with the fancy nvidia settings and bam it worked. But when i was fooling around trying to get a better picture cause it was distorded a tad, i accidentally screwed it up. So im here to ask if anyone knows whats wrong and what to do? And also any other programs besides this nvidea stuff for the monitor controls... its too many buttons...
THANKS A LOT! Now, its PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME! :jelly: :jelly: :jelly:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Normally that's caused because of the way the movie was encoded. I have that happen all the time when I hook my laptop up to a TV it'll work for a while then all of the sudden the video will stop. A reboot normally solves the problem. Some things you can do to help fix it are make sure you've got all the latest codecs get the k-lite codec it's got everything you'll need.

Next what video player are you using?

The other trick is if you've got it split to your tv try starting the video on your existing monitor and then drag it over to the tv in the player before you full screen it.

In the end though it comes down to the fact that whatever you get off the internet could be encoded a number of ways and could be at weird screen aspects that will always have trouble playing on a non-monitor. The only really guaranteed way to get around it is to re-encode them into a normal aspect ratio.