Linux mailserver that works w. Outlook

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited November 2003 in Science & Tech
I'm doing some unpaid consulting (might turn into paid consulting, fingers crossed) with a family members business. Their ISP has been acting as their mail server, sending mail to their addresses via SMTP, dumped directly into Outlook.

That situation might be changing, and they may need to come up with a new mail server arrangement. This is a small company with almost no IT support (but they have a guy who knows a thing or two, not me!). I'd like to recommend a mail solution to them. I'm thinking a Linux mail server with one of the free mail programs. But, which one? I can't see these guys springing for an Exchange server/license, they number of employees served just doesn't justify it.

Also, they do use Outlook, and I'd like for them to be able to continue doing so, the training issues involved with getting them off of Outlook and on to an Open Source mail program might be more daunting than anyone wants to attempt.

Advice?

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    So all you want is a server that will let them send mail out, and recieve it, with outlook?

In that case pretty much all of them will.

I use Exim myself, and after installing it and changing the config file, all I have to do it make an acount on the server for the person and then they can connect to the machine as if it was any other e-mail server and send and recieve.

Just look into some guides of setting up exim or qmail and thats all you really need by the sound of it.

NS
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    If you're looking for a Linux-based mail server that will work with the scheduling and calendar features of Outlook, there's only one that I know of, and it costs a few bucks. Still, it's cheaper than an Exchange Server license.

http://www.bynari.net/
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    outlook can connect to any mail server running pop3 or imap, they don't have to switch email clients. I don't know any email server save Exchange that will let you use all the groupware features in outlool though, so check out TD's suggestion. besides to be honest, i've never been to any company where they actually used all the stuff outlook/exchange can do. people just want to send email, store contacts, and use the reminders, none of which require exchange server.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Yeah, could you clarify this a little? You don't need any particular mail server just to use Outlook as a pop3 client. Outlook is basically three clients in one application: Pop3, Imap, and exchange.

I would highly recommend that you get their mail hosted by a reputable hosting company. For EXAMPLE, not to pimp my business or anything, but, we can host pop3 mail very inexpensively. If you put their own mail server in-house, you are asking for an administrative nightmare - mail servers require fairly regular maintenance. First off, you need a true static IP, then you need your own DNS server so that the world can recognize your mailserver's MX record. So basically you need at least two static IPs - cheap SDSL that gives you multiple statics starts at around $100 a month for like 256K, so mail on 256K is gonna be slow if there's any attachments involved. So it's WAY cheaper to have your mail hosted elsewhere. Not to mention you'd better bone up on your sendmail or CuciPop or QMail or whatever you're gonna use in unix/linux since it sounds like you're their administrator.
    edited November 2003
    Why would they need 2 IP addresses? I host mine using Exim on a household 512/256 line and have no problems. Just had to make sure I had a static IP address from my ISP (£5 more) and that the domain resolved to my IP address...

NS
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Right, but who's doing your DNS? You could have DNS and mail on the same server, but I wouldn't recommend that.

So:

1 IP for mail server
    1 IP for DNS to have an MX record that points to the mail server
    edited November 2003
    Well, I have no DNS software running on the machine itself (I used to...)... so I am not quite sure to be honest.

I think it is the same 3rd party that lets me use their name servers to resolve back to my IP... yeah, it must be - http://www.zoneedit.com - worth looking into, as they don't charge unless you want like 8 domains.

NS
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Google:

Linux Exchange Server Emulator

at: http://www.google.com/linux (no trailing slash)
  • CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
    edited November 2003
    This company has been using the ISP as their mail server, Outlook pointed to the ISP's POP3 and SMTP. This relationship/situation may change soon. I have not talked to anyone technical about this, but that MIGHT happen in the future.

Right now, the whole discussion is academic since nothing may come of this, and I probably won't be the guy doing the work. But, if it does, and I am, I'd like to be able to begin sounding like there are options. So, while I welcome the input thus far, it's all just talk for now. Thanks.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited November 2003
    Check out courier for a really nice mail package. It has alot of bells and whistles most of the others ones lack in the default packaging.

http://www.courier-mta.org/