Computer super-overheating

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Hardware
Not sure if this goes here but it seemed right.

My laptop is pretty much bran new, i got it for christmas this year (06) and it was a bran new model

its an HP pavillion dv9000.

This thing overheats so much, it gets so hot that its rediculas.....

it doesnt matter if its plugged into a charger or running on battery, its so hot that when i have it sitting in my lap it burns me (litterally leaves red marks)

and the fan seems to be working, i just cant figure it out.

can anyone help me out here?

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited July 2007
    It doesn't sound like its overheating since its not locking up on you.

A google of your model shows its a desktop replacement this defiantly wasn't intended to go into someones lap.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    so its normal if this thing gets that hot?

it doesnt freeze, but sometimes it shuts off, and sometimes when im turning it right back on , it takes about 5 tries. it will click on and right back off before anything loads.....

but this could be a result of a virus im trying to fix right now
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2007
    It may be the board shutting everything down because it's TOO hot.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    1) It is indeed a hot running laptop. That is a big problem with many of the new laptops being sold.

2) "Hot" or not, if it's crashing and taking up to five attempts to successfully boot, then yes, it may be even getting hotter than design specifications. Get some compressed air and blow it through all the ventilation (intake and exhaust) ports. Perhaps there is dust and lint you can dislodge.

What about environmental temperatures - ambient temperature? Is there a heatwave where you live? Is the room where you are using the laptop warmer than it usually is?

Do you have any experience in laptop disassembly and reassembly?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2007
    If it's on your lap are you blocking a vent?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    My daughter's Toshiba A105 draws air in the bottom. Stupid design.
    If she leaves it on a hard smooth surface with the top up it will fold. Anything that blocks any cooling and it will shut down.

the name 'lap top' is just a phrase. These portable computers were never actually intended to be used on your lap. NEVER use it on you lap if it is in AC power. I have seen what happens when charger/batteries explode.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Well i live in Michigan and its fairly hot here right now, but we always have the air on pretty cold so i dont thing tempature is a problem....

the Fan is on the bottom of the lap top, and it looks as if there is one vent about 4 inches long on the back of it..... and thats it.

plus i have the laptop always sitting in a closet.... i took the door out and built a shelf. So its like a desktop computer table for me. but I would imaging that it gets fairly hot in there, but its not like its closed up..... its just a closet with no door and nothing in it but a shelf and a computer and a chair.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited July 2007
    Lack of air exchange.