Looking for advice on a notebook

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
edited July 2007 in Hardware
I'm looking for something under $1300 that will last me though college, I'll probably do a little counter-strike on and pretty much just use it for school, internet...etc.

I was thinking about a macbook but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    From my recent use I would recommend ASUS laptops... I have had HP, Leveno and Dell and by far am really loving this ASUS lappy :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220044
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220163

Newegg I noticed had some good deals on them,

Also if you buy a Laptop make sure to get a LappyMat :)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited July 2007
    i have a mac book pro, it plays HL2 in native res 1400x900 widescreen at max settings with 4x anti aliasing.

its a monster for the games IT DOES PLAY. i have had some that wont work at all, star wars republic commando for instance.

dell's new line of inspirons are supposed to be really nice, i i still love my dell, zero problems when i had it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2007
    If you want a laptop that will survive use and abuse then get a lenovo T series they are amazingly well built.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I'd recommend HP/Compaq for their standard warranty alone. I'd recommend Lenovo or HP for their ruggedness.

I carry a Compaq v2000 back and forth from class all the time, and the only regret I have about the $750 purchase is that the shell casing could be a bit more firm - I have to be careful how I squeeze the laptop when it's closed. Put too much pressure in one spot and it leaves a sort of permanent smudge on the screen itself.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited July 2007
    HP, dv6500t

Operating System FREE Upgrade from Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic (32-bit) to Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium!
    edit

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7100 (1.80 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    edit

Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
    edit

Memory 75% OFF upgrade to 2GB DDR2 (2 Dimm)!!
    edit

Graphics Card 50% OFF!! 383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS!!
    edit

Personalization HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Microphone
    edit

Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    edit

Hard Drive 80GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    edit

Primary CD/DVD Drive FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
    edit

TV & Entertainment Experience No TV Tuner w/remote control
    edit

Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    edit

Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
    edit

What do you think about this configuration, right in my price range and looks like it would own counter-strike. How would this compare to a basic macbook?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    looks good. I'm actually deciding between an hp and a mac. Though I'm leaning towards the power mac. Don't forget to buy it with the educational discount if your school has a deal with the manufacturer. Some companies don't care which school as long as you are in school even. I know its gonna save me ~$200 on my mbp if I get it.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    Graphics Card 50% OFF!! 383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS!!
    will run CS but not that great...

edit just noticed (1280 x 800) max res you should be fine. I opted for a (1680 x 1050) 15.4" screen, so much crisper and runs movies like a dream :)
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    15.4'' is going to look very goofy on a classroom desk, though.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    NiGHTS wrote:
    15.4'' is going to look very goofy on a classroom desk, though.

yeah, 15.4 is actually pretty big on a classroom desk, that's why i got a 13in.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    I thought about a 13" but I like my real estate. I want 15.4", now just imagine someone plunked down the cash for a 17" lappy and sat that giant on the desk.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    no one actually takes notes on a computer in class.

if you actually think you'll use it, I'd suggest a tablet pc - that way you can take notes on right on the copies of the lectures that you could d/l from the class website.