Which card has the most overclocking potential?

edited November 2003 in Hardware
I have this problem... i'm stuck between bidding on a Radeon 9800 non-pro with samsung memory and bios flashing it to a Pro version than overclock it.

(viewable here)

OR

A regular Radeon 9800 Pro with infineon memory and simply overclock it.

(viewable here)

Now, what is really comes down to for me is, which card do I have the best chances of overclocking higher? The reason I am asking this is because I heard that bios flashing can bring-down how high you can overclock your card... is that true?

Comments

• Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
    edited November 2003
    On the cores, the Pro card will most likely overclock higher. The memory... eh i'm going to say the non-pro. But if you had to decide between the two go with the 9800 Pro.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited November 2003
    I would go for the NP, but it's a lottery out there. I lucked out with a NP with Sammy RAM, Flashed it and now it does 445/357 on air. All I need now is a new HSF to push it further.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I would get the Pro since it's a new item and not one sombody probably screwed with and there is possibly something not quite right with it now. Ebay for vid cards is such a gamble! Russian Roulette anyone! ;)
  • edited November 2003
    Does anyone find it a wee-bit suspicious that no one has bidded on it? I mean, just look at the other Radeon 9800 Pro bids. Anyhow the Radeon 9800 Pro is undoubtedly infineon memory. Can this hinder my performance?
    edited November 2003
    Actually I think it is a combination of the seller only having 7 transactions so people are leary of dealing with them (although all 7 feedback responses are good positive ones). And there is actually 1 bidder who has a solid bid on it already unless it is your bid. If it is not your bid you do not know how much of a cap they have on their bid for automaticly bidding once others have begun competeing. Don't discount others (auction snatchers) watching silently till the end so as not to drive the price up.

Sorry I didn't look in more detail on the first item but did find them to be selling a new item also. I did notice that the first seller had 4 negative feedbacks but after looking at the actual complaints found that they appeared to be from dips or screwballs. However I am not sure I like the rude sounding responses by the seller.

I am not responsible for your decision and am just rying to point out the obvious as I would approch it. Your decision is yours and yours alone!
  • edited November 2003
    No, that isn't my bid. I'm what you would call an ebay sniper. My daddy has this program that bids on an item at the very last possible fraction of a second. Considering the 9800 Pro only has 1 bid with a 10 hours left tells me that the item isn't going over 300 dollars...

EDIT: there is a Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro with samsung memory on ebay... should I bid on that instead of the others?
    edited November 2003
    I don't think the GigaByteme is as good a quality.

Load that sniper progie with you max bis and see what happens.

I'm still holding to my disclaimer above.
  • edited November 2003
    I don't need the program quite yet, I want to see how high it goes first... I really don't want to spend over 300 dollars. I think I may just have to bid on one of the the non-pros and simply flash the bios... i'll probably save alot of money that way.
    edited November 2003
    Dodger had this to say
    I don't need the program quite yet, I want to see how high it goes first... I really don't want to spend over 300 dollars.

I use Auction Stealer. You could still load it up and it it goes over your limit it just won't bid. That is the beauty about those progies that you don't need to watch it like a hawk.
  • edited November 2003
    I know, but my daddy has a password on his computer so I can't use it yet. I will get the password in a little bit. For now i'll just sit tight and see how high the bid goes... there are 3 bids on it already so I wouldn't be surprised if it went over my limit.
  • edited November 2003
    Stay away from the Gigabyte 9800; I had a 9700 pro and the cheap-@$$ fan on the gpu locked up and cooked it, not even overclocked.:(