Laptop not recognizing battery PLEASE help

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Hardware
Im so fed up with this lap top.... at first I liked it, but now im so sick of it....

I wish i would have gotten a desktop because, thats pretty much how I have to use my lap top.

My laptop just randomly stopped working without AC power. The battery just wouldn't work or charge, so I posted a topic here not to long ago and everyone said to get a new battery. So i went to best buy, and got a new replacement battery sent to me for free. I got that battery in the mail today..... and what do you know, it still didn't change a thing.

1. My led light that is suppose to light up when the battery is charging, doesn't work.

2. When I look at the power source icon in the task bar it just says "on AC power" instead of saying "charging 10%" or whatever.

3. When I open my power meter it says "Current power = AC, battery = 0%" and there is a big red X over the battery

This is getting really irritating, because probably the only good thing about a lap top is its mobility, and when it always has to be plugged in to work, its like a crappy desktop. I mean it gets hot, its slower........ it just plain out sucks.

If you take that main feature away from a lap top then its just pointless.

can anyone please help me?

I do have a full coverage plan from best buy. But I have to much stuff on my laptop to back up, and no money to buy the storage to do it. And my dad just had to send his laptop in to best buy, and they said he was gonna loose everything, which is stupid.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Take your laptop into Best Buy and tell them the unit is not charging the battery. Tell them that the power jack is fine, and something internally, probably the circuit, is faulty.

Please tell them to specify that you want the hard drive returned, and it is important that you use this following phrase:

"Please put in STAR Phoenix that I want the hard drive returned to me if any hardware is going to be replaced in the notebook. I will reload Windows myself if necessary."

And then you will be handed a form you must sign, and there will be a "SYMPTOMS" or "PROBLEM" section on the form, and in there the Geek Squad rep will have typed the problem you've explained in your laptop. In that section is where they should have placed the request to have your HD returned. If that is NOT in the service ticket they create for you, ask them to close the tag and recreate the ticket for you with the proper instructions.

Don't let them con you into a data backup. Also, it's very possible that your father might have lost information. The laptops typically go to the MFGRs who are ruthless -- they'll simply replace hard drives, components, and do anything internally with no regard to your data. That's why you ask for the HD back.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    ok thanks a lot

one question , when you said.......................

"use the following phrase...."

"Please put in STAR Phoenix that I want the hard drive returned to me if any hardware is going to be replaced in the notebook. I will reload Windows myself if necessary."

what does "in STAR phoenix" mean? did you mean to type that?

well thanks a lot for the help.:D
    edited October 2007
    It's a best buy term, and yes I meant to type that.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    It's a best buy term, and yes I meant to type that.

When you answer your home phone, do you sometimes find yourself picking up and saying, "Hello, Geek Squad Southfield."
    edited October 2007
    Not at all.

"Thank you for calling Best Buy's Geek Squad in Southfield. This is Robert, speaking. How can I assist you today?"

"Thank you for contact Best Buy Allen Park's Geek Squad Precinct. This is Robert. How may I be of assistance?"
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    lol

well what are the possibillities that the manufacture ignores the note and replaces the hard drive?

Im gonna back up the things I can like pictures and stuff.

I guess I just dont like the fact that my hard-drive will be floating around with personal stuff like pics and stuff, and if im getting my hard-drive back then I obviously dont want to to delete my files.

thanks for the help