Which MOBO should I buy

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited December 2007 in Hardware
:confused: I'm in the process of building a new rig and need to select the MOBO. My case is the Thermaltake Armor Super Tower ATX Case - Black VA8003BWS $84.72 at Circuit City after rebate. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Thermaltake-Armor-Super-Tower-ATX-Case-Black-VA8003BWS/sem/rpsm/oid/191044/catOid/-13015/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Thermaltake http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/chassis/fulltower/armor/va8003bws.asp

This is what I’m looking to do. I want an intel rig that I can overclock and game on. I don’t have to have the top components however I do want a nice system and the ability to upgrade.The bank isn’t endless so I’m looking to keep the cost between $250 and $350 for the MOBO though I can go higher. Here are my questions, PLEASE feel free to add ANY comments/suggestions you like.

1.An SLI or a Crossfire board? (I’m leaning towards SLI)

2.A socket 775?(I have a core 2 duo 1.86 in my current system) I was told a new intel socket is coming out soon is this so and should I wait?

3.To keep the cost down I’m looking at staying with DDR2 (though a board that will take DDR2 and DDR3 would be a plus).What is the difference between DDR2 and DDR2 Dual Channel and which do I want?

4. I understand that ASUS has some nice boards though I am not locked into a Manufacturer. Is one manufacturer better than another (customer service is important to me, Bios updates, questions ect.)

5. Finally what MOBO recommendations do you folks have?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Instead of the Armor, consider the the Antec 900. You cannot find a better cooling computer case in it's class. They are well made and very nicely engineered. It's a whole notch up on the Zaser in performance.

SLI or Crossfire? I'm not a gamer, so you need to temper my remarks. I would have automatically replied "go SLI," but ATI has just released a couple new GPUs that appear to be very good performers for the money. Consider also one top of the video card instead of two medium-powered cards, unless of course you had been thinking of two top of the line cards.

Any Socket 775 board will be dual channel, as long as you have a DIMM slots 1 and 3, 2 and 4, or all of the slots filled. There is no such thing as a non-dual channel capable Socket 775 motherboard.
    I was told a new intel socket is coming out soon is this so and should I wait?
    Someone doesn't know what they're talking about. There is the new chipset from Intel, "X38," but Socket 775 is here for a long time more.

We can't advise on a motherboard brand and model unless you specify your needs (and wants) better. How long do you want to keep it? What processor upgrades might you consider in the future? What features do you need?

UPDATE: take a look here at some more pics of the
    Antec 900
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited November 2007
    Case both are good sli or crossfire ? gains are minimal in game and hassle is maximal, best advice go with the fastest single card that will run what you play. DDR ditch it DDD2 is in most places cheaper and much more fun to play with.:bigggrin:
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited November 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    We can't advise on a motherboard brand and model unless you specify your needs (and wants) better. How long do you want to keep it? What processor upgrades might you consider in the future? What features do you need?

Thanks Leonardo and SPIKE09. I already bought the Thermaltake Armor Super Tower ATX Case - Black VA8003BWS. I hope this answers your questions Leonardo.
    My needs can be filled by any system I build, my wants follow.

<DIR>1.A board that will support high end gaming.

2.Able to run two video cards in tandem.

3.Upgradeable to liquid cooling (in the future).

4.Handle 8-16 gigs of DDR2 ram (if it would take DDR3 for future upgrades it would be nice).

5.Intel 775 CPU

6.Support Intel® next generation 45nm Multi-Core CPU
    Compatible with Intel® 06/05B/05A processors
    Front side bus 1600 / 1333 / 1066 / 800 MHz

7.Able to Overclock

8.I like to play games, Soul Reaver, Halo and want to be able to play the most recent.

9.How long do I want to keep it? This is probably unrealistic but 10 years would be nice. During that time I expect to upgrade the CPU 3-5 times. I don’t have to have the highest end machine however I want some power and it would be nice to be able to upgrade (without changing MOBO) and keep up with new games.

10.I think I want SLI video however I guess I need to look at Crossfire.

11.Good customer support from the manufacture, Bios upgrades ect..

</DIR>If you need any other information please ask. You can also include MOBO’s out of my price range if you feel it would make a difference.
    Just want to say thanks in advance for any help. I haven’t built a rig in over 10 years, so there has been a change or two. The bottom line is I don’t want to have to change the case or MOBO. I can update the other things as time demands and money allows.:respect:
    edited November 2007
    The motherboard is neither compatible nor incompatible with water cooling. The main factor is just to select a full size case and full size ATX motherboard so you have the physical room to work on the water cooling's fittings and plumbing.

Based on the needs you've listed, I've selected three motherboards that would serve you well. They are all well-cooled for overclocking, are SLI ready, and have a very good history behind them:

Abit IP35 Pro
    Abit IP35
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0

These three boards already have official BIOSes out that allow them to accept both the current Q6 series dual core processors as well as the yet unreleased to consumers 45nm Intel quad core processors. Any of the three boards above would make you happy for some time to come, I'm sure. You need to look at their specifications and reviews and decide which features sets appeal to you most. The most economical of the three I posted is the Abit IP35.

What power supply unit do you have picked out? Or do you? Overclocking quad core CPUs, especially in concert with SLI is very demanding on a power supply.
    edited November 2007
    Let's continue:

Customer support: the most important support you need is flexible RMA policy from the vendor. Usually, if a board has problems, it shows up right away when you build the machine. In that case, a store return policy or online vendor RMA policy is very, very important. I know from experience that Newegg's RMA policy is reasonable and their service is fast. Concerning customer support: I have RMAed an Abit board to the USA-Abit depot before and the process was very reasonable. Abit is also developing a good reputation for web-based and email customer support. (Abit went through a major transition in the last couple years, and is "coming back" so to speak.) Abit also has a very solid and growing Abit-USA forums. It's a rich source of advice on Abit technical issues. It also is visited by official Abit representatives.
    How long do I want to keep it? This is probably unrealistic but 10 years would be nice. During that time I expect to upgrade the CPU 3-5 times.
    That just ain't gonna happen. When you want to stay on the cutting edge, upgrades beyond processors and video cards are required.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited November 2007
    Check out Asus´s P5E motherboard.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Asus P5K-E, Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the help.As it turns out I won't be able to get what I want right now but I may be able to upgrade to a lesser MOBO untill I can get what I want. I found an ASUS P5N32-SLI PREMIUM/WiFi-AP for $110 new.
    http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=337
    Is this a good buy and will I be able to overclock, or am I better off spending $150 on another board. I am running a core 2 duo and have 4 mb of 800 ddr2 on the way? I have a 350 watt pSU and realize I will probably have to upgrade.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited November 2007
    Personally, I think nvidia chipsets suck. For an Intel cpu, its best to go with an Intel chipset.

Just my 0.02
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    Stay away, very far away...especially with 4GB of ram and a C2D.

If you need something inexpensive, go with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127029 or any of the variants that meet your price expectations.

Also look at any of the other Gigabyte P35 or G33 offerings.
    edited November 2007
    Go with Intel chipsets. P35 is a star.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    I would avoid the 680i chipset for now, as the current 680i boards won't support Yorkfield OR Wolfdale

That's just the icing on the cake. These guys are right, Intel chipsets for Intel CPU.
    edited November 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    I would avoid the 680i chipset for now, as the current 680i boards won't support Yorkfield OR Wolfdale

That's just the icing on the cake. These guys are right, Intel chipsets for intel CPU.
    Just a note here.... They do support Wolfdale :)
    edited November 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Just a note here.... They do support Wolfdale :)
    article wrote:
    ...but it seems that the 680i motherboards have been built in such a way that quad core Yorkfiled (and dual core Wolfdale) will not work on almost all 680i motherboards produced.

Do you have a better source? I haven't had too much time to really look into this issue yet, but as a system builder I will need to know for certain. At some point I'm also going to have to decipher just what the hell "almost all" really means...
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited November 2007
    edited November 2007
    Straight from EVGA: http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=167016

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    EVGA 680i users,

The EVGA 680i SLI motherboard will support 45nm Wolfsdale (dual core) CPU's with an upcoming BIOS update. 45nm Yorkfield (quad core) CPU's will be supported on upcoming nForce 700-series SLI motherboards.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    edited November 2007
    I would be flaming pissed. Glad I went with X38 (for now :)).
    edited November 2007
    Abit, Gigabyte, and Asus already have 45nm compatibility BIOSes out in full release versions for P35 boards. These BIOSes have been available for a while, now. I do not if "45nm" includes both Yorkfield and Wolfsdale and which, if any P35 boards from those manufacturers are excluded. But there is no organic incompatibility of the P35 chipset with Inte 45nm CPUs.
  • edited December 2007
    Does the P35 support sli?
    edited December 2007
    P35 will support 45nm Intel CPUs IF the motherboard manufacturer supplies an updated BIOS. Not all models/manufacturers will do that.
    edited December 2007
    Vintage86 wrote:
    Does the P35 support sli?
    No, it supports Crossfire (ATI), not SLI (Nvidia).
  • edited December 2007
    Asus P5K-E