IBM Thinkpad A31 - screen died?

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Hardware
I have a IBM Thinkpad A31 running Windows XP Professional that I use only occasionally - mostly for my dad to check email and watch the news in German when he comes over to visit me in Ohio once a year for six weeks. Other than that it faithfully folds for Team Icrontic. The thing sits in my guest room, and every few days I fire up the screen and let it download any software upgrades it requires. The other day I did that again, but the screen stayed dark. Depending on the light in the room, I can just barely make out that the computer asks for the password and shows the desktop when I hit return - it's not password protected - but it's too dark for me to do anything else with the machine. Is this likely a case of hardware failure; ie screen dieing, or is there anything else that could have gone wrong? I've rebooted the machine repeatedly, and have gone as far as disconnecting the power supply and taking out the battery over night to make sure it was properly shut off before rebooting, but the screen comes up dark every time :confused:

Many thanks

Frank

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Your backlights are dead. :\
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Hi Thrax, many thanks for the quick diagnosis. What can I do about that? Are the lights replaceable or do I need a new screen?

I assembled my own PC with the help of the good people on this forum and I'v also previously resurrected this laptop, but with a solder iron in hand I am a disaster in the making. So hopefully that's not required :confused2

Many thanks

Frank
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    The A31 is an old machine. BTW, I'm posting this message on an A31. It would probably cost twice as much to replace the screen/replace the backlights as the laptop is worth. Unless someone knows better, you should probably just start looking at your local Craigslist for a used replacement laptop. I've seen many laptops on Craiglists lately in my area for fair prices (also seen ridiculous prices) for one and two-year old laptops. Check out eBay also. There are a couple large sellers with extensive (good) histories that constantly have dozens of Lenevo-IBM laptops for sale. Prices aren't bad. If you want it, you might even be able to find another A31. That model though, is getting so obsolete that I don't know if you'd want to pay money for another one.
    edited July 2008
    I know what you are saying. The A31 wasn't exactly known to break speed records in its heyday, but now it seems to be working at a snail's pace. That said, I got the thing for free when my wife didn't want it any more because the USB port gave up the ghost, and I only use it for my Dad to check email for a few weeks in a year. Also, it seems plenty good to do folding for the rest of the time, and I hate to throw out things that can be fixed.

I have looked on eBay and while the regular price for screens for an A31 seems to be around $120 including shipping, I've seen some that went for as little as $20-$30 shipped. I could take my time until I got one for that price if I knew that a screen on one of these Thinkpads is easy enough to swap. I am guessing from your response that the backlight itself is not as easy to fix as swapping out a regular light bulb?

In case all that does not come off, I guess I'll have to start acquainting myself with laptops. I only ever had this one, and as I said, I just got it because it was free. Are there any particular brands I should look out for - or avoid - when looking on Craigslist?
    edited July 2008
    It would be less expensive to replace the screen than to replace the screen's backlights.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    Try checking ebay to see if you can find a new screen. Sometimes you can order the backlights straight from the manufacturer for super cheap, but they're complicated to replace yourself.
    edited July 2008
    I just had another idea. Since I have the thing set up pretty stationary in the guest room, I wonder if I couldn't just connect another screen to it. Old computer screens seem to cost a dime a dozen at Goodwill any old day :scratch:
    edited July 2008
    You should be able to do that. I assume you mean external monitor when you write "screen?" As long as the laptop's video card can handle the minimum resolution of the external monitor, there should be no problem.
    edited July 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    I assume you mean external monitor when you write "screen?"

Yep, that's what I meant. Haven't been around here for a while, and looks like I need to work a bit on the lingo :bigggrin:

Many thanks!

Frank
    edited July 2008
    Well, as a computer tech-oriented site and forums, we try to use precise technical terminology. We'll edgumacate you. Be warned though: if you call a computer a "CPU" we'll ban you and force you to leave your home.
    edited July 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Be warned though: if you call a computer a "CPU" we'll ban you and force you to leave your home.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, that 'reign of terror adjudicator' title of your's has me shaking in my boots every time I see it, Leonardo! I will avoid the use of the term CPU hence force - just to be safe :bigggrin:

As an aside, I hooked up an 'external monitor' from another computer to the laptop and it works just fine. I guess at least that confirms that Thrax and your diagnosis about the dead screen is correct - if there ever was any doubt! :wink:

Now looking for instructions how to take the screen off an A31 Thinkpad. I could swear at some stage I had stumbled across a repair manual for that thing online, but I don't seem to be able to find it any more.

Frank
  • edited July 2008
    Sounds like the screen inverter has failed if you can barely see the display on the screen. Inverter on ebay for ~$15. Inverter is located on the right side of the screen under the screen bezel and can be accessed by removing 1-2 screws and unsnapping the bezel. Or you could replace the entire screen for ~$100 on ebay. You can find the hardware maintenance manual for the A31 with all the part numbers here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/product.do?template=/product.do?template=%2Fproductpage%2Flandingpages%2FproductPageLandingPage.vm&sitestyle=lenovo&brandind=10&familyind=97476&machineind=0&modelind=0&partnumberind=0&subcategoryind=0&doctypeind=8&doccategoryind=0&operatingsystemind=49979&validate=true

along with all the drivers and other information provided by IBM/Lenovo.
    edited July 2008
    Good information! Thanks for stopping in to help. Make yourself comfortable and stick around!
    edited July 2008
    Ah, very nice, fuzzypup. Just the info I needed! I found that manual last time I had trouble with the Thinkpad, but had lost it again. Guess I'll better save the link now! A $15 repair sounds very promising :thumbup

Frank
  • edited July 2008
    This site shows step-by-step instruction for inverter replacement. Worked for me with an A31 with similar symptoms.

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2007/01/31/replace-screen-inverter-fix-backlight/

or go here for other Thinkpad questions:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/

Good luck.
  • johntkellyjohntkelly london
    edited February 2010
    Hi Frank,

My A31 did the same thing... dark screen, but external monitor works.. did you manage to fix yours.. ? john...
    edited February 2010
    I took the A31 apart and sold all of its ingredients on eBay. Together I made about $150. I bought a refurbished Acer laptop on Tigerdirect for just over $200. The Acer works like clockwork. I couldn't have been happier with the deal. IMHO fixing an A31 these days means throwing good money after bad, but please don't tell that to the folks who bought my parts on eBay :wink:

Frank