Mylar Tape replacement

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited September 2008 in Hardware
Started putting my new MOBO in my new case and found I am missing two pieces of Mylar tape.The tape is to be installed to prevent the Mobo from contacting the case. Any suggestions on a replacement product (electrical tape)?

Just a note. I called Thermaltake about the missing tape and was told I would have to do an RMA (including receipt info that would take days to find.

Called Gigabyte about a missing Rear I/O panel and they just took my info and are mayling it out (no charge).

Thermaltake could learn something.

Comments

• bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    Use electrical tape?
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited September 2008
    Use electrical tape?
    I am looking for a substitute for the Mylar tape. I thought electrical tape might work.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Any tape will do.
    edited September 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Any tape will do.
    :vimp:Thanks :vimp:
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited September 2008
    Electrical tape is what I'd use.. or anything you can get your hands on.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Any tape will do.

Not aluminum tape :P
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2008
    If you use electrical tape - make sure it's not in contact with any components that get hot or it'll get goopy and start to melt. Even though it's going on the back of your board, some of those contact points can still get pretty hot.
    edited September 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    If you use electrical tape - make sure it's not in contact with any components that get hot or it'll get goopy and start to melt. Even though it's going on the back of your board, some of those contact points can still get pretty hot.

:eek: The tape will be on the case between the board and some high spots on the case. Do you think that it may still have a chance of melting?
    Is Mylar tape heat resistant ?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Should be fine unless the electrical tape is directly underneath the CPU. If that's the case, I'd cut a piece of the antistatic bag the motherboard shipped in into a square and put it where the mylar tape was supposed to go.
    edited September 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    Should be fine unless the electrical tape is directly underneath the CPU. If that's the case, I'd cut a piece of the antistatic bag the motherboard shipped in into a square and put it where the mylar tape was supposed to go.
    Should I use a thermal adhesive (paste) to attach it if I go this route?
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2008
    No. Just tape it up there on the case.