An Eggsellent question

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited September 2008 in Fitness
Ok, I'll stop the puns right now, they're just too easy, and terrible.

But I have to eggs you all a question (SORRY, these crack me up [OK I'M DONE SHELLING THEM OUT {SERIOUSLY I APOLOGIZE AND I'M FINISHED I PROMISE}])

OK, when it comes to eating eggs, do you eat the yolk or not? I've heard many say not to because of the amount of cholesterol the yolk adds to your diet. Yet I've read the yolk contains complex carbs, protien, among other things. The concept that the yolk is bad for you is generally a myth.

So which is it? I usually do half and half - if I eat two eggs, I eat one yolk and throw the other one out. Does it depend on the type of exercise you're doing / type of health gain you're looking for?

If I knew more about nutrition I'd research this myself, but I'm rather clueless on the subject.

What do the healthy of Icrontic do with their egg yolks?

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    clever.

I don't eat the yolk because I can't stand the taste. I suppose i'm not doing it for health/weight purposes.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    If you want to lower your cholesterol, yolk bad.
    If you want to bulk up/build muscle/eat calorically-dense, yolk good.

Yolks are healthy, but most people just chow them down without ever exercising. I eat about 3 eggs every 2-3 days. I'll live.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I f'ing love the yolk. Best part. But don't look to me for health advice.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    If you are young and don't have heart disease I'd recommend you eat the yolks. Yes, there is fat and cholesterol, but all of the egg's nutrition outside of pure protein is in the yolk. Generally it's recommended you limit your yolk intake but that's based on guidelines that follow the antiquated notion that dietary cholesterol intake elevates your serum cholesterol level.

Besides, cholesterol is a precursor to testosterone, which you need to build muscle. Even though I've been diagnosed with high serum cholesterol I still allow myself a yolk a day when I'm eating eggs, and I haven't died yet. The way I figure it is that it's healthier than pop tarts and McDonald's breakfasts, or even no breakfast at all. Plus, eating whole eggs and working out is healthier than sitting on my arse all day.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    StainMeNow wrote:
    I f'ing love the yolk. Best part. But don't look to me to health advice.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    The yolk in the egg contains good cholesterol and the majority of the protein. I've eaten three or more eggs a day for a year and half now without adverse affects.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited September 2008
    Eat eggs. Enough debate. Whole thing, just cook it, boil it, fry it or drink it raw. Eat'em dammit. There's so many studies for and against this or that.

Just do it.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Without yolk, where would you dip your toast?

:)
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2008
    Eat eggs. Enough debate. Whole thing, just cook it, boil it, fry it or drink it raw. Eat'em dammit. There's so many studies for and against this or that.

Just do it.

What he said.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Awesome. Thanks for the input all.

Eatin' me some eggs.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    My wife read some article in her fitness mag about eggs, and now she asks me to make her omlettes with one egg and two whites instead of two eggs.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    That's like having 3 cupcakes but only eating one cupcake and licking the frosting off the other two! HERESY!
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Eggs are fine. It's the quantity of them, the frying of them, the bacon, the cheese, the biscuit, the sausage...... sorry I'm hungry. Reasonable amounts and with a balanced diet, you'll be fine.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    CB wrote:
    My wife read some article in her fitness mag about eggs, and now she asks me to make her omlettes with one egg and two whites instead of two eggs.

That's probably because the whites of two eggs approximately equal the protein of one egg... so it's like having a two egg omelette except without half of the fat. If it's an every day thing, this is like the equivalent of eating an egg a day.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I would suggest not doing a "Cool Hand Luke" and eating fifty hard boiled eggs in an hour either. I usually eat about five at easter and then get sick of them for a while.