Using PSD's in Paintshop?

panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
edited December 2003 in Internet & Media
Is there anyway that a person with Paintshop Pro can use and manipulate PSD files? Thanks

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Yep :)

File ---> Open ---> select .psd from the dropdown file type ;)
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited December 2003
    List of PSP supported file types:

http://www.jasc.com/format.asp

Dexter...
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited December 2003
    Thanks. It can't open 32-bit PSD's then so SOL
    edited December 2003
    What do you need to do with it? If you just need to convert it to another format, e-mail it to me, and tell me what format you want it in. I'll open it in PS and save it to whatever you want.

Dexter...
    edited December 2003
    A guy wants to use the PSD's contained in this file (15.8MB) in paintshop, but he gets "an undefined error has occurred - 565".

I'm not familiar with image manipulation so I was trying to see if there was a way he could use these in paintshop, he can't afford photoshop.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Well, he might try Adobe Photoshop Elements Version 2 or Paintshop Pro version 8.0. He might also look and see if the trials will convert.... :D And he might check out The GIMP.

Addendum:

Adobe Photoshop Elements can output many files that PSP can open, and version 8 opens .PSD's directly and can use a majority of the plugin packs available for photoshop. The cross compatibility with the plugins required that the PSP filter code be able to open or import .PSD and with version 8.0 they made .PSD file opening native to PSP.

The installer can, in some cases, not install the filters needed to open certain file types, if you choose not to have that file compatibility at install time, but there is a way to install filters on an existing PSP install. The unknown is probably a missing or corrupt import module, or an inability of monitor to display file due to monitor not being in at least 16 bit mode (also could be display adapter settings as to color depth or resolution or size in pixels of display). Insufficient RAM open for use in real time can also cause unknowns in PSP. Try running PSP, when you have a big file to open, with the bare minimum of other programs open.

John.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Panzer:

I downloaded those, but in photoshop they are not 32 bit files, they are standard 8bit photoshop PSDs, however, there are dozens and dozens of linked layers. I really don't think you can successfully convert those to another format. The linked layers, layer masks, and adjustment layer information is essential to the content of the files. I would say that, in this case, photoshop is a requirement to open these files.
    edited December 2003
    Actually, I just looked at them, and they are not that complex. Most of the PSD's only have a few layers, one has 8, and the most complex (MD11 fuse.psd) has 15 layers. Any of these could easily be flattened and viewed as a TIF file if you just wish to see them. The MD11 fuse one is a guide with different grouped layers which you can hide or show depending on what purpose you are using it for.

Attached is a JPG of the MD11.

Let me know if you want me to convert these over to something else for you to see them all.

Dexter...
    edited December 2003
    Actually, here they all are as JPG's for your previewing pleasure. Some have been shrunk for easy viewing. If you want a higher res file format, PM me with an e-mail address specifying the format desired, and then we won't have to use up SM's server space unneccessarily.

Dexter...
    edited December 2003
    Yeah the thing is that with these PSD's is that new layers are added and removed based on what airline livery a person would want to add (for British Airways, British Airways would be one layer, the Ribbon another layer, cheatlines another layer, etc). So people with PSP would need to be able to have this functionality, which JPG's don't provide. I sent you a PM with more specific info
    edited December 2003
    And actually, I stand corrected with due apologies to Prime), as many of the layers have nested layers, which I did not notice on first glance.

From Jasc's site:

http://www.jasc.com/custcare/viewresult.asp?Aid=989&kb=PSP7&QueryID=954900&AN=PSP7355
    Can Paint Shop Pro 7 open Photo Shop 6.0 files (.psd)?

Issue

Resolution

Paint Shop Pro 7 is able to open most Photo Shop 6 .PSD files. However, if the .PSD file contains any proprietary information in it such as Vector content, or Adjustment Layers Paint Shop Pro may not be able to view the file.

If your friend needs the individual layers and not just flattened images, rour friend is out of luck. Try the Elements pack as AGeek suggested.

Dexter...
    edited December 2003
    Thanks for the help, he'll try Elements then.