4 or 8 pin CPU +12 volt Connector

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited November 2008 in Hardware
I finally put my new partial rig together, however I am having a problem. My psu (Cooler MasterExtreme 550) only has a 4 pin cpu connector and my mobo takes an 8 pin (Gigabyte X38-DQ6). If I start up the computer without the 4 pin installed the computer gets power (fans,usb devices ) but doesn't boot ( no beeps, and the heatsink fan starts for a second then it shuts down). If I plug in the 4 pin connector the computer starts for about 4 seconds (still no boot or beep), shuts down and starts again on it's own. It will repeat this cycling untill I turn it off.Is this because I only have the 4 pin and not the 8 pin CPU power plug or something else? I know I may need to get another PSU but for now I want to get the computer to boot.:shakehead

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yes, the extra 4 pins are to provide more power for the motherboard. The board isn't getting enough juice to boot all the way through on the post, most likely. Check your manual to verify, some times a 4-pin will work but certain features, i.e. oc, are not supported though it sounds like in your case the 8-pin is required for normal operation.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited November 2008
    I finally put my new partial rig together, however I am having a problem. My psu (Cooler MasterExtreme 550) only has a 4 pin cpu connector and my mobo takes an 8 pin (Gigabyte X38-DQ6). If I start up the computer without the 4 pin installed the computer gets power (fans,usb devices ) but doesn't boot ( no beeps, and the heatsink fan starts for a second then it shuts down). If I plug in the 4 pin connector the computer starts for about 4 seconds (still no boot or beep), shuts down and starts again on it's own. It will repeat this cycling untill I turn it off.Is this because I only have the 4 pin and not the 8 pin CPU power plug or something else? I know I may need to get another PSU but for now I want to get the computer to boot.:shakehead
    Nope. Not the problem. Got the cable and I am having the same problem. I may know what it is (don't laugh). This board supports 667,800 and 1066 mhz DDR2 ram. I have 533 mhz DDR2 ram. I thought it would be backwards compatable. Not sure this is the problem though it is my next best guess.:banghead:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    533 is 1066.
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited November 2008
    Hook up the system speaker and see if it gives any beeps with everything normal. Then remove the ram and see if it beeps. It should.
    edited November 2008
    Hook up the system speaker and see if it gives any beeps with everything normal. Then remove the ram and see if it beeps. It should.

Thanks all for the help. Did some troubleshooting and have it down to the CPU or the Socket. I'm trying to find a used working board that takes a 775 CPU so I can test it. If worse comes to worse I will have the board tested at MicroCenter.They will do it for $9.99 if I purchase a new CPU (I was planning on doing so in a month or two guess I may have to push it up). Any ideas on what CPU I should get in the $200.00 range.
    edited November 2008
    I'd go for a Q6600, but wait for the release of the Intel Core i7's as previous processors will see price decreases.
    edited November 2008
    I'd go for a Q6600, but wait for the release of the Intel Core i7's as previous processors will see price decreases.
    any idea when the i7's will come out?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Already out. Formal release is on the 17th, though, I think?
    edited November 2008
    Anyone have any idea how long it takes for prices to drop and by how much?:)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Don't expect the prices to drop much within the first 8 months, and not more than by about 15% max.
    edited November 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Don't expect the prices to drop much within the first 8 months, and not more than by about 15% max.
    Thanks Thrax. Guess I'll make my purchase on Black Friday then.
    edited November 2008
    Thrax wrote:

I thought they'd drop a bit more, but I don't really follow the prices much. I figured a groundbreaking architecture would drop prices a lot.