Recommend a MOBO for a Q9300 CPU

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited January 2009 in Hardware
Hello All,

Haven't been here for a while and want to wish all a Happy New Year and "May the best of 2008 be the worst of 2009"

Now to the point. I finally have all the parts to build my new Rig,however. I was going to purchase the Intel Q6600 CPU then I saw that the Q9300 was on sale for $170.00 and bought one. My motherborard is a Gigabyte X38-DQ6. I was told that the Q6600 would Overclock better than the Q9300 on a X38 chipset mobo but that the Q9300 on a P45 chipset mobo would run rings around it so I bought the Q9300 with the idea of switching out boards somtime in the future. Now the rub. I had to RMA the Gigabyte board I bought on Ebay :grr: though this turned out well, the sent me a brand new mobo :D.My thoughts are that since this is a brand new board still in sealed package I would try to find out if I can sell it and get a board that will compliment the Q9300 better ( or mabye I'm just afraid to do the build and I am putting it off :shakehead). I fold,play games,surf and want to overclock. I am staying with DDR2 memory at this point. So.

1.What boards do you recommend (asuming the above is true)?
2.More general what is the best chipset?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115043

http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=33881&familyID=1&culture=en-US

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I believe they meant P45, not 945. Grab a DFI P45 board and you should be able to push that thing pretty far.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited January 2009
    Thanks Snarkasm you were right. My bad.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I have the DFI BI P45-T2RS and the ASUS P5Q Pro that I have used with my Q9300 that I bought when it first came out. The DFI BI P45 only has 4 phase PWM and a tall NB heatsink that can and will get in the way of most good CPU coolers. It has good overclocking features in the bios but is pretty light on some RAM settings. The Asus P5Q Pro has 8 phase PWM and lots of room around the socket for large coolers. It has more O/C settings in bios and has run much more stable for me. DFI will cost you over $200 to get 8 phase PWM, which will make a difference and the higher end DFI boards will give you the most bios settings. I must add from lots of DFI board experience over the past 5 years that the really tend to be quirky and you love em or you hate em.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Id pull for the asus P5Q Al tho i do not have it i have heard tremendous things of it!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    For a novice, I think the ASUS board or a P45 Gigabyte board would be a good choice. The DFI boards have very intimidating BIOSs.