Alternative to Outlook Email

ginipigginipig OH, NOES
edited January 2004 in Science & Tech
Are there any out there that have had some time to mature?

In terms of clients, I'm looking for something with the same functionality as Mutt (i.e console based, keybind-friendly.) I don't know if its been ported over to the Windows platform yet...

Regardless, do you guys have any recommendations?

Feel free to post; don't be intimidated by anybody elses blasts.

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    have you tried evolution?
  • ginipigginipig OH, NOES
    edited December 2003
    Yeh, I'm using that on my Slack. box.

I'm trying to ditch Windows Apps for better alternatives. So far: 1) Litestep Shell, 2) Foobar2k for Audio, 3) BSPlayer for Video, 4) Miranda IM .. the usual.

What bugs me is that I can't seem to find any decent Email Clients that are fast. Most are bloated with HTML-Crap that I don't intend on ever using.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
  • kanezfankanezfan
    slaps shorty upside the head

he needs a linux email client :P I think you've started drinking and celebrating the new year a little early buddy.
    sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    slaps shorty upside the head

he needs a linux email client :P I think you've started drinking and celebrating the new year a little early buddy.
    edited December 2003
    ginipig wrote:
    Are there any out there that have had some time to mature?

In terms of clients, I'm looking for something with the same functionality as Mutt (i.e console based, keybind-friendly.) I don't know if its been ported over to the Windows platform yet...

Regardless, do you guys have any recommendations?

Feel free to post; don't be intimidated by anybody elses blasts.

Slaps Kanez back..

Read his post.. hes looking for an alternative to a Windows application.. that is like a Linux one he uses ;) for a Windows box :ninja:
  • kanezfankanezfan
    grumbles

/me wonders why /me doesn't work. /me checks the welt, it hurts :'(
    sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    grumbles

/me wonders why /me doesn't work. /me checks the welt, it hurts :'(
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    ok, what about the new thunderbird client? it's a new client from the same people that make mozilla, in fact i'm pretty sue it IS the mzilla email client, just by itself.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Essentially, it is the Mozilla 1.5 email core, plus some tuning to make it work by iteslf without all teh extra support files. For this person's alternative requirements, you can set it NOT to show images, not to show HTML, to compose messages as plain text by default, etc. And, even tell the composer to use reply BELOW previous message as default so you get a message thread look.

Yeah, would say try Thunderbird .3 or later, for Windows... For now, set it up so Thunderbird leaves the email on the mail server, and use Outlook also. That is how I migrated from client to client trying L:inux stuff out, and it works also with trying Widnows stuff out except Thunderbird will ask if you want it to be deafult when it starts eqach time, and the answer is no for now until you figure out how to export your saved emails and get into Thunderbird, or print to hard copy and dump "soft" copies. But (/me thinks), running both for now until you are sure you want to make the leap, would be a good idea.

//EDIT: Yes, I know you are talking about FOR Windows, it runs on XP and downward, as does Mozilla.

John.
    edited December 2003
    For Windows2K, U NUBS :nudge:

But in all seriousness, I'll check out the "Bat" (simply 'coz it's the bat)

Are you using that atm, Shorty?
    edited December 2003
    Urgh, I guess I'll have to purchase it if I were to use it past the 30 day limit.

You better hope I end up loving it, Shorty! :rant:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Why use BSPlayer? The best player to use for all file formats in windows (as a stand alone, not to replace playlist programs) is Media Player Classic. Looks like Media player 6, uses all the codecs you have install (so support is easy) and it's very fast. http://atomnet.co.uk?p=programs&search=media

Also, why not Trillian for IM too (I have used the free version for ages, not problems at all).

My brother seems to like Incredimail, which is free and seems to be better than outlook express, so that may be worth a look.
    edited December 2003
    I'm using classic's ogg.dx support. Mostly, though, I just use kazaalite's codecs with BSplayer.

Trillian seems kind of buggy to me. That, and the fact that they started charging for "pro" versions of an app whose driving force was the open source initiative (which, apparently got shot down by a few greedy members of the development team.) I used Trillian up until recently, when I happened to chance upon various Short-Medians' recommendations. I've found that smaller apps do a helluva lot better job than all-in-one solutions.

Incredimail is a very nice util, if you're into the whole presentation deal. Most of my email recipients prefer to send/receive in plain text (due to portability reasons.) So's I gotsta do wat I gotsta do.

Thanks for the feedback though.
    edited January 2004
    Holy Crap! The Bat! is perfect!

Thanks for the recommendation, Shorty :)

Prior to using The Bat!, I stored all of my spam messages in a special folder; Bayes Filter plugin setup was no sweat.

Woot!
    edited January 2004
    I thought it would do the job, sounded like just the thing you were after :)

Glad you like it and it helps :thumbsup:

Ding ding, another done.. whos next? ;);D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Hmmm.... Does this bat fly in Linux????

I am using SpamAssassin plus Thunderbird's neat filtering now....

John.
    edited January 2004
    Hmmm.... Does this bat fly in Linux????

In Linux, most apps do :)

I'm using The Bat! in Windows, though.

I'm trying to set up some additional bayes.type rules, but I haven't the foggiest how to go about it. Guess I'll have to learn how to write additional plugins.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    I didn't know there was a client side version of SpamAssassin, as I run it server-side, but didn't know there was a client side scanning version...