Staying Grounded.

DareDare SD
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Is it plausible to just duct tape a metal socket or wrench to my wrist?
Will that make sure I dont fry any of my parts?
First time building a PC. Dont wanna eff myself. :bigggrin:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Not that I would ever really worry about it unless I've been running around on a carpet in socks, but if you're paranoid, just leave one hand on the computer case with the power supply plugged in.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Most computer supply shops that have a BYOC department carry grounding wrist straps. They usually go for less than $5. The one I have I got at MicroCenter for $.98

If the room you're working in is carpeted, I would recommend using one.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I just sit in the bath tub full of water with everything on a TV tray. This eliminate static electricity completely. But you do need to be careful so as not to knock anything into the drink. ;)

I sure hope everyone knows I am just kidding!
    But I did used to wash my CPU's in the sink with a toothbrush. And I never lost a single one.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    If the room you're working in is carpeted, I would recommend using one.
    Yup. Another opportunity to tell my story: I destroyed a video card once by walking a across a carpeted room then touching the metal computer case. Pop! Dead video card.

In that particular room now, I am very careful when working on the computers. If it's a sensitive component like a video card, I will carry it in a plastic tub or antistatic bag. I also ensure to touch the metal frame of the case before I start messing around inside.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited February 2009
    I honestly stick a paperclip in the grounded socket of the wall. Only takes a second and you can do it as often as you want.
    Would not recommend it though, you will need to know your electrical wiring intimately before attempting.
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    DrLiam wrote:
    I honestly stick a paperclip in the grounded socket of the wall. Only takes a second and you can do it as often as you want.
    Would not recommend it though, you will need to know your electrical wiring intimately before attempting.

Electrical wiring I know, built many a house in my day. Its computers I'm clueless about. :bigggrin:

Anyways, Motherboard, CPU, and ram all linked up. Now to just wait for all the other parts, to see if I fried something.

Meh. :hair:

Waiting fails.