New Laptop for work

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited May 2009 in Hardware
Wy wife is due to get a new computer for work. She wants a laptop and has asked me for advice since some choice is involved. The standard model issued by her employer, Kent State University, is a Dell Latitude 2.0GHz, 2GB Ram, 80GB HD (specs listed below). Alternatively she can spend $600 on another laptop of her choice. At first glance you can buy a way better laptop for $600 than that Dell. I reckon it's worth $400 at the most - do they still make 80GB HDs? :wtf:

Now here is the catch. The university requires that alternative computers 'must be from a reputable manufacturer and contain a 3 year warranty'. Laptops eg from Tiger usually come with a 1 year warranty, and if you want to upgrade that to 3 years, it sets you back at least $150 :eek:

But it comes worse, you can't order the computer yourself and bill the university, you have to submit a 'valid quotation from the preferred supplier' so that the 'Faculty Computer Refresh Group' can create a purchase order. I understand this takes about two months :shakehead - so no way to pick up a special offer eg from Tiger.

Should she just go with the crappy Dell and forget about it, or does anybody see a viable option to take the $600 and buy something better within the stupid constraints enforced by the administration?

Many thank

Frank

KSU Standard Issue Laptop:

Dell Latitude Notebook

2.0 GHz Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor
2 GB Ram
80GB Hard Drive
14.1 inch Wide Screen Display
Internal Modem
Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet
Integrated 802.11a/g/n Wireless
8X DVD+/-RW
Sound card with built-in speakers
9 Cell Primary Battery
Nylon Carrying Case
3 year warranty with complete care

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    For a work laptop, it's generally most efficient to get what they want you to get. In this case they've made the requirements too onerous to get anything better on that budget. I'd take it and make any upgrades to the HD + memory that you want after the fact.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    The main gripe is the Ram. My wife has just gone through the process of upgrading the Ram in all the computers of her research group to 2GB. The computer people at the university told her that's the bare minimum she can get away with, and she'll really have to upgrade the computers soon - they don't support more than 2GB Ram. Personally I think that's bogus, and she was just fine with 1GB of Ram, but it's funny they now force her to buy a new machine that is lower in specs than what they just told her she really needs.

How easy/expensive is it to upgrade Ram in a Dell Laptop? From the specs I think it's a Latitude D630, although KSU doesn't give you the model number. I've only ever done that on desktops. I read it has PC2-5300 Ram, and for some reason I can't seem to find that on the Tiger web site.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Memory will be stored beneath the keyboard or in a door on the bottom of the laptop. Shouldn't take you more than 15 minutes.
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited May 2009
    We have Latitude D630 laptops at work and it's just as easy to swap out memory as Thrax described. The worst part is removing the plastic bezel that covers the keyboard screws and that's only because it's scary to have to bend plastic like that. As long as you are careful and take your time removing the bezel there won't be a problem though.

Norge
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    If the dell is brand new... It should be a Latitude E5400. I spec'ed out the E5400 and it is at least $1000.
    Latitude E5400:
    • Intel® Coreâ„¢ 2 Duo T7250 (2.00GHz, 2M L2 Cache, 800Mhz FSB)
    • Operating Systems: Genuine Windows Vista® Business Downgrade, XP Professional SP3 Install
    • LCDs: 14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA Anti-glare LCD Panel
    • Graphics: Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    • Memory: 2.0GB, DDR2-800 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
    • Internal Keyboard: Internal English Dual Pointing Keyboard
    • Primary Storage: 80GB Hard Drive, 5400 RPM
    • Primary Optical Device: 8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink PowerDVDâ„¢
    • Primary Battery: 9 Cell Battery
    • AC Adapter: 90W A/C Adapter (3-pin)
    • Wireless LAN (802.11): Dell Wirelessâ„¢ 1510 802.11a/g/n draft Mini Card
    • Modem: Internal 56K Modem
    • Touchpad and Fingerprint Reader Options: Touchpad and Trackstick dual pointing
    • Hardware Support Services: 3 Year Basic Limited Warranty and 3 Year NBD Onsite Service
    • Carrying Cases: Deluxe Nylon Case (2 pocket, up to 15.4)
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Ugh, new Dell equipment is awful. Every single machine we've had hardware problems with in the past 3 months have been Dells less than a year old. We've had 5 dead harddrives and an entire shipment (63) of Latitude E6400s with bad RAM. My company will never again be buying Dell hardware for the end-user.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I buy Lenovo only. Bought at least 10 T61's last year for my company, none of them had any issues what so ever. The new line T400/T500 are pretty decent.

Lenovo has tons of coupon codes everywhere, I've seen web pricing discounted by 20-40% and thats without using contacting a rep.

Priced a similar lenovo T400 for $763.30:
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8400 (2.26GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2) 25W1
    Genuine Windows Vista Business with Windows XP Professional Downgrade****12
    14.1 WXGA TFT, w/ CCFL Backlight
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with vPro
    2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)8
    UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
    160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm4
    DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)5
    No Bluetooth
    Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology10
    Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
    4 cell Li-Ion Battery60
    7417: 1 Year Depot Warranty - TopSeller7
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    My impression is that there are better deals for the money out there.

I specced out an HP laptop with a 320gb HD and 4gb of RAM for $700, and Slickdeals has a coupon code for 15% off that.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/18751
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Gargoyle wrote:
    My impression is that there are better deals for the money out there.

I specced out an HP laptop with a 320gb HD and 4gb of RAM for $700, and Slickdeals has a coupon code for 15% off that.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/18751

HP's can be picked up dirt cheap almost anywhere, plus you'd get a throw away printer.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    As a ex-Desktop support tech for a large company... we buy several hundred Dell's a year. We buy them for the support, the ability to ship them an image and they load it on the systems at the factory, and we buy them for the overall price/ performance. Lenovo is my choice but the extra 10-15% premium and lack of customization forces them to only the upper management.

Personally... Lenovo is what I would buy with my company money but I'd still buy Dell for my users. It's just easier to support and I can have replacement parts the next day.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Kent State University also buys Dell for the warranty and easy support, but I am sure they spend a lot more money on that warranty than they get in return. The support they provide is a joke - but I have never worked at a university where that wasn't so. Computers in research labs are generally maintained by the students who are using them - or those students in the group who are tech savvy. If you wait for university computer support to solve a problem, you might well be dead and forgotten about before they respond.

Be that as it may, I'll recommend for my wife to get the standard Dell, because everything else woudl be too much hassle. 2GB Ram and a 80GB HD will be ok for her for one or even two years. She can upgrade when she needs to, and it will be much cheaper doing it then than rushing things now.

Many thanks for all your advice

Frank
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Priced a similar lenovo T400 for $763.30:
    Yeah, without a corporate warranty, swap, and service contract?