Memory Coolers

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Hardware
Memory Coolers - :thumbup or :thumbsdow

The reason I am asking is that I just bought some extra RAM for my rig, and Tiger had a special where the Ultra RAM I wanted was a dollar cheaper to buy with a memory cooler included than without. Now I have the coolers, but I am wondering if I should install them. The way they are supposed to work is obviously by taking heat away from the RAM and onto the cooler. However, the things are quite large, which I am guessing might considerably restrict air flow in the area around the RAM, which would actually hinder cooling.

What's your take?

Frank

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    DDR2 doesn't need anything more than simple heatspreaders until you're approaching DDR2-1200 (PC2 9600+).
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    :o We are talking DDR.

This is the memory I bought, and these are the coolers. Should I install them?
    edited June 2009
    Only if you like bling. ;) PC3200 is an official DDR standard and doesn't require special cooling.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    DDR2 doesn't need anything more than simple heatspreaders until you're approaching DDR2-1200 (PC2 9600+).

I'm not 100% sure, but Ultra actually sells DDR2 heatspreaders marketed as "RAM Coolers"

When I think of RAM Cooler I normally think of that OCZ two fan job that sits atop all four slots, but I am not sure that's how Ultra goes to market.

fmueler - can we have a link to what they sold you?
    edited June 2009
    Too slow, Cliff! :D
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Heatspreader.... get the term right you yahoos (not you fmueller, the other 2 in this thread).

;D
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Heatspreader.... get the term right you yahoos (not you fmueller, the other 2 in this thread).

;D

Hey now, I had it straight, and I even referenced your companies product. I'm down wit da lingo bro!
    edited June 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Only if you like bling. ;) PC3200 is an official DDR standard and doesn't require special cooling.

That's what I thought - at least I saved a buck by getting them ;D

Frank
    edited June 2009
    I even said "heatspreader" in one of my posts. GTFO, Eric! ASS.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    hahahahhahahaha
  • edited June 2009
    Heatspreaders also help with protecting the sticks. My memory sticks move from computer to computer too many times during their lifetime. I had knocked out one of the surface-mount resistors once. But I would not choose a no-name memory just for the heatspreaders over a name-brand memory without the heatspreader.
    edited June 2009
    Is Ultra considered no name around here? I've always been pretty pleased with their stuff.

Plus when I originally put that machine together, I put 1GB of Ultra memory in there. I thought it better to use the same when I bought the other 3GB.
  • edited June 2009
    I did not mean Ultra is no-name. Tigerdirect usually sells the brand. But I have never bought Ultra brand memory. It is most probably made by some other manufacturer for Ultra. Since you already have them, just keep them if they work. :)

BTW, if you are going to install the heatspreaders, check the warranty statement of memory as well.
    edited June 2009
    So Ultra is basically the Tigerdirect house brand? I didn't know that, but I buy most of my stuff from Tiger.

I wasn't going to ditch the memory - brand name or not. I have been accused of being cheap, but I am not a brand snob :p

I have installed the memory, but I won't use the heatspreaders. I reckon they'd probably do more harm than good, because they'd box the memory in - at least in my case. Plus the way my mobo and case are designed all the cables to the drives run right in the area where the heatspreaders would have to go, and I doubt I could get them onto all four chips of RAM even if I tried.

Frank