4GB Ram in 32 bit OS

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Hardware
So I've just upgraded my rig to 4GB of DDR Ram. I read up on it a bit, and realized that I have a 32 bit OS (XP), which will not be able to take advantage of the full 4GB. But I figured DDR Ram is cheap now, so I whack in what fits, and let my system use whatever it can. I use Photoshop a lot, which is a RAM hog, so the more the better. Turns out my system sees 3.25GB, which is better than some people do, who keep whining about it in gazillion threads all over the net. So I was happy - until I read that you can enable memory remapping in your BIOS and trick the system into using a bit more RAM - if your BIOS allows you to do this. I checked in my BIOS and can find no such function. Is that the end of it, and I can return to being happy with my 3.25GB of RAM, or is there anything else I should look into?

Many thanks

Frank

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Memory remapping allows old chipsets to recognize 4GB of memory, but it won't fix the Windows 32-bit limitation of 4GB maximum total addressable memory (HDD cache, CPU cache, video DRAM, system DRAM) for the system.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Why not partition your drive, install the 64 bit Windows 7 RC to dual boot on your system. It will allow you to address the extra RAM and should just perform better in general. If you dual boot it, you don't like it you can always go back to XP.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Cliff - that's an interesting idea. As it happens, I have just added a 500GB HD to my rig in addition to my old 160GB drive, so I wouldn't even have to partition. I was contemplating to play around with Linux a bit if I ever get so much spare time, but maybe the new Windows 7 would be a better idea. I'll have to give that some though...

Frank
    edited June 2009
    fmueller wrote:
    Cliff - that's an interesting idea. As it happens, I have just added a 500GB HD to my rig in addition to my old 160GB drive, so I wouldn't even have to partition. I was contemplating to play around with Linux a bit if I ever get so much spare time, but maybe the new Windows 7 would be a better idea. I'll have to give that some though...

Frank

Yeah, a 64 bit Linux Ubuntu distro would allow you to address all the RAM as well.

Without a doubt, with the extra drive, no reason not to chuck a 64 bit OS under XP and see if you like either one (I'm betting you will)

Honestly, if your not a gamer into Direct X content, I would say give Linux Ubuntu 64 bit a shot.
    edited June 2009
    What's kept me from switching to Linux so far is that I use Adobe Photoshop a lot, and InDesign quite a bit. I am not sure if there is software available for Linux that has the features that I need. That would be the next thing to check out after I install some version of Linux.

The last - and only computer game - I have ever truly enjoyed was Boulder Dash on my brother's Commodore C64. After he sold that trusty machine - I'll never forgive him for it - gaming was dead for me :sad2:

Frank
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Don't let anybody lie to you; I love my Linux installs, but GIMP can't match up to Photoshop if you're a true power user.

You'll probably love Win7, though; most of us do.
    edited June 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Don't let anybody lie to you; I love my Linux installs, but GIMP can't match up to Photoshop if you're a true power user.

You'll probably love Win7, though; most of us do.

I like the GIMP 2.6 but I am in no way an expert on the subject of advanced photo editing. I just play around a bit. For the price of free GIMP is amazing though.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    ^ True that. It's great for many users (myself included), and I appreciate the hell out of it, but you'll find it lacking if you really know your way around PS, that's all.
    edited June 2009
    Well, since my wife needs PS for work, it's free for me :D

I don't know that I am a PS power user - I use it for image editing only. I should just download GIMP one day and see if it can do what I need. PS has been a steep learning curve for me, but now I know exactly how to do what I want to do. So I've been reluctant to change.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I think you would like Windows 7 64 too. And the best part is that the RC1 is free till April 2010. that gives you a lot of time to see how you like it. I love it. First MS OS I have actually been excited about!
    edited June 2009
    The worry is what they are going to charge us to keep Windows 7 after April 2010. I hate paying for software - who doesn't? :rolleyes2 But I guess I can't use my paid copy of XP forever, and I am not sure if the Linux OS is quite as convenient a freeware solution as things like Open Office, Firefox, or AVG free... :scratch:

Frank
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    fmueller wrote:
    The worry is what they are going to charge us to keep Windows 7 after April 2010. I hate paying for software - who doesn't? :rolleyes2 But I guess I can't use my paid copy of XP forever, and I am not sure if the Linux OS is quite as convenient a freeware solution as things like Open Office, Firefox, or AVG free... :scratch:

Frank
    Actually the RC will just simly stop working. The recomendation of trying it in a "dual boot" config with your current OS is likely your best bet. Then if and when you purchase Win 7 you can just get the "upgrade" version as opposed to paying full price as you already own XP which qualifies. Then you can actually do a fresh install of Win 7.
    edited June 2009
    I understand that, but if I like it, I will have to upgrade, which means I will have to pay, won't I? If I don't try it, there is no chance I will like it, and I'll stay out of trouble. That's how I have avoided smoking for the last 42 years, and it has served me well ;D
    edited June 2009
    Good thing Windows 7 is great for your health.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Win7 also makes penises bigger.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    It cures STIs and most forms of cancer to boot.
  • edited June 2009
    Cliff,
    I’m glad to hear that Windows 7 is working well for you. It’s always great to hear that it’s actually solved problems you were having before. When you get the chance, you should check out the Windows 7 forum, at microsoft.com/springboard. It provides support, "how to" video guides and the several other tips and tricks to make your Windows 7 experience awesome.
    Thanks
    Glen
    v-glferg@microsoft.com
    edited June 2009
    Glen,

Welcome to Icrontic. :) Please make yourself at home.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Welcome to Icrontic, Glen :)