My fitness story.

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited January 2011 in Fitness
So, I've always been underweight. I'm one of those individuals who is both gifted and cursed with a fast metabolism. My body won't keep fat, period. Add on top of this a genetically uncooperative stomach (permanent reflux, lactose intolerant, fat intolerant, sodium sensitive) and I have a very difficult setup for gaining weight.

I was depressed for many years of my life. Between about '03 and '07, it was bad, and I'll admit I was suicidal. Fortunately for me, I hate pain, so I could never bring myself to actually kill myself.

Sometime in '07, something snapped, and life resumed. I've moved on, and am now a fairly happy individual. However, my bout with depression had consequences. My diet consisted of nothing but junk for at least 2 years. I very rarely ate more than 500 calories in a day, and none of it was healthy. Since my body had no fat to consume, it turned on the muscle.

When I emerged from the funk, my weight was no more than 105 pounds. For a guy who's 6 feet tall, that's critically low. I had ZILCH muscle on my body - I looked like a walking skeleton.

Then, I got into weightlifting. Slowly at first, and gradually over the months adding more exercises and intensity to the workouts.

As of today, my weight's 130 pounds. I've gotten advice from professional bodybuilders for how to properly work a muscle group, and my eventual low-end target is 150 pounds. Optimally, I want to hit 170, but that's a long way off. I lift weights regularly, doing intense resistance sets using dumbells. I'm not huge yet, but I have visible muscle.

When I weighed 105, I could hardly lift my computer, let alone a dumbell. Now, I can heft my 16-kilo (33ish pound) tower without a second thought, and carrying it doesn't tire me. I currently use 25-pound dumbells for my arm exercises, and I started with 8-pounders.

To anyone out there like me, who's at a critical point of underweightness - you CAN come back from it. The key is in the food more than anything. Make sure you eat a healthy, high protein diet, and ease into a pattern of working out. Before you know it, there will be muscle growing back onto your body.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Man... 105 at six feet!!! I'd be depressed too. Well, I'm glad you came through it and into something that is making you a heather person. :thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    The good thing about being an ectomorph: You can eat like a FUCKING ELEPHANT and put on muscle like nobody's business.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    Almost true, except for the bitchy stomach part. However, I do find that working out stimulates my appetite pretty heavily.
    edited August 2009
    New personal best! Managed to do 7 straight bicep curl reps with my 25-pound dumbells!

That was on the first set though. Second set I could only do 3, and finished the last 3 reps to 6 with my 15-pounders.

Third set I could only lift the 25s once. It's progress though... never done 7 straight reps with em before.
    edited August 2009
    "Little snail
    inch by inch, climb
    Mount Fuji!"

-Kobayashi Issa
    edited August 2009
    With a fair amount of influence from Thrax, this is what I've established as a workout routine. I'll be trying this out for the foreseeable future.

Schedule

Probably not perfectly balanced, but I think it targets quite a lot of muscle groups considering the basic level of my equipment :)
    edited August 2009
    Ugh. I was supposed to work out last night, but I ate a caesar salad at lunch which must have had 4 grams + of sodium in it. My body wasn't even done processing the level of salt 10 hours later when I went to bed, and I couldn't eat anything else all day. Going to have to try to finish my routine thursday/friday this week.
    edited August 2009
    If you miss a day, you miss it. Just don't try to "make up" for it. Stick to the schedule precisely.
    edited August 2009
    Ok, good to know. It just makes me feel bad to miss some muscle groups in a cycle.
    edited August 2009
    Here's a shot of my current physique, as a reference for myself and anyone in the fitness community interested.

You can see where I'm just starting to show definition in several places. Hoping to keep bulking and make it more obvious.

Oh, you also get to see my ugly mug, complete with glasses that never stay fully up my nose. :crazy:
    edited August 2009
    Did my first ever legs workout last night. Went down pretty well, or at least they're pretty sore today. I think I need some bigger dumbells for some of the movements though.

Can't remember what I used for squats... will have to check that out next week.
    Calf Raises, 3x8 holding 25 pound dumbell
    Lunges, 3x8 holding 2x 15 pound dumbell
    edited August 2009
    Getting into my 3-day split pretty good now. All the muscle groups are (theoretically) broken in, and I'm establishing the pattern as a lifestyle.

Set a PR on my triceps for the third week in a row... 9 reps @ 25 pound dumbell. They're sprouting like a dandelion in the morning.
    edited August 2009
    Mostly done healing from my second full cycle with my legs finally broken in. It's amazing how much my calves especially have firmed after just two workouts.

The pattern should be established... just a matter of following it and eating now. :)
    edited September 2009
    Man, haven't updated this in a while. After I moved, I got a bit off pattern with my workouts. Last night, I did a full body major muscle groups routine (calf raises, dumbell lunges, deadlifts, flat dumbell press, flat dumbell flyes, bicep curls, skullcrushers, hammer curls, situps) with the intent of giving myself the attitude once more of working out. All I can say is, damn am I sore this morning.

Starting up my regular 3-day split again on monday.
    edited September 2009
    The mental jolt more than anything was successful. Back on my regular work-out plan :)

Progress seems to be happening reasonably well enough. If all goes well I should need to buy 30-pound dumbells in about another 4-8 weeks.
    edited September 2009
    I think I have the longest-running multipost ever. Let's see... 8 in a row now as of this one.

Also: woot for obliques. I seem to has em.
    edited September 2009
    Don't worry. Heh. I'm used to it in my thread too. It's for me more than anything.
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    i'm working up the nerve to start weight training at the craptastic gym i go to... but there's no one to show me how to do things, or what to do, and all the dudes are a wee bit intimidating. i was kinda eyeballing this book, it looks like it's not stupid: http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583332944/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254314362&sr=8-1
    edited September 2009
    Women and men should treat themselves no differently when it comes to gym training. Women don't have enough testosterone to get freaky big without an outrageous amount of effort... The lifting plan in my thread is good for all fitness levels, both men and women, younger and older.

I recommend a book called Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoes.
  • poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I recommend a book called Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoes.

is that seriously that mans name? like Rip Steakface or Crud Bonemeal?

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY)
    edited September 2009
    Yes. Yes it is.
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of (other) dudes being intimidating, it's probably just about time for me to post another picture of myself. Comparison shots don't do much good if I only ever take one.
  • edited January 2011
    lordbean wrote:
    So, I've always been underweight. I'm one of those individuals who is both gifted and cursed with a fast metabolism. My body won't keep fat, period. Add on top of this a genetically uncooperative stomach (permanent reflux, lactose intolerant, fat intolerant, sodium sensitive) and I have a very difficult setup for gaining weight.

I was depressed for many years of my life. Between about '03 and '07, it was bad, and I'll admit I was suicidal. Fortunately for me, I hate pain, so I could never bring myself to actually kill myself.

Sometime in '07, something snapped, and life resumed. I've moved on, and am now a fairly happy individual. However, my bout with depression had consequences. My diet consisted of nothing but junk for at least 2 years. I very rarely ate more than 500 calories in a day, and none of it was healthy. Since my body had no fat to consume, it turned on the muscle.

When I emerged from the funk, my weight was no more than 105 pounds. For a guy who's 6 feet tall, that's critically low. I had ZILCH muscle on my body - I looked like a walking skeleton.

Then, I got into weightlifting. Slowly at first, and gradually over the months adding more exercises and intensity to the workouts.

As of today, my weight's 130 pounds. I've gotten advice from professional bodybuilders for how to properly work a muscle group, and my eventual low-end target is 150 pounds. Optimally, I want to hit 170, but that's a long way off. I lift weights regularly, doing intense resistance sets using dumbells. I'm not huge yet, but I have visible muscle.

When I weighed 105, I could hardly lift my computer, let alone a dumbell. Now, I can heft my 16-kilo (33ish pound) tower without a second thought, and carrying it doesn't tire me. I currently use 25-pound dumbells for my arm exercises, and I started with 8-pounders.

To anyone out there like me, who's at a critical point of underweightness - you CAN come back from it. The key is in the food more than anything. Make sure you eat a healthy, high protein diet, and ease into a pattern of working out. Before you know it, there will be muscle growing back onto your body.

O man that's great story and I congratulate you on losing weight so much. Every one has craze to lose the weight as much as they can do it. Congrats once again...