Memory Upgrade in Dell Latitude D610

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Hardware
I have an older Dell Latitude D610 laptop computer in which I'd like to put a bit more RAM. It runs with XP Pro, which reports 504MB RAM. When I open the cover over the memory at the bottom of the machine, I can see only one memory stick with 256MB. I took that stick out and had a good look around, but could not find where the rest of the RAM is hidden.

So what to do - can I just put a 1GB stick or thereabouts in that slot? That would mean having two different memory modules in the machine, which I heard should be avoided. Plus obviously I'd end up with less total memory than if I could upgrade all of it. But where to find the rest of the memory? :scratch:

Frank

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Make sure everything is powered off and unplugged. Pop off that piece of trim around the power buttons a that runs along the top of the keyboard. Under it there will be two screws holding the keyboard down. Remove those. The second dimm is under the keyboard. Not too tough to get at.

And, from dells site looks like that notebook will take 2 gigs max. So, best bet would be to go with a 1gb x2 kit.

Only around 25 bucks, not too bad.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I agree with Magic... 2 GB is max. The one slot is on the bottom (the one you found) the other is under the keyboard. Here is the Service Manual for the Latitude D610.

The specific page you want is here. You will need to remove a cover right above the keyboard, then the keyboard. It's a 10 minute job from start to finish. ;)

Need any other help, just ask. Oh, and let us know if everything worked out fine.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    As it happens, I just recently swapped out the keyboard in that machine. So I know it's an easy job taking it out. Blind old me never spotted that memory slot, but if you guys say it's there, I am sure that right where it is. :thumbup

Off to order that 2GB kit.

Many thanks!

Frank
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    No problem... that's what we love to do, solve problems. :D