Memory modules coming loose after a while?

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited October 2009 in Hardware
Hi

Has anybody else encountered this problem?

It seems that my modules loose the connection after a couple of weeks/months and then I have to pop the case open and reseat the modules.
I have not tested to see, whether it only affects one of the modules, because I have four I just take them all out and insert them again.

I think it might have something to do with the weight of the Dominator modules, they are quite large and heavy compared to "normal" modules.:tongue2:

The symptoms are that Windows start acting crazy and post every single error message in the book. :)
And when the modules are tested with Memtest they fail right away.
But after being put back in everything works fine.:confused2

Oh well here is an advice, if your machine starts acting up, then reseating the modules may help. :cool:

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I know this happens, but it seems weird that it happens so frequently with you. Is there something in/around/on your case that might be causing a lot of vibration?

The CPU fan and attached peripheral fans (unless there's something amiss) shouldn't be causing enough vibration to unseat your RAM. Also, the RAM clips should be holding it securely in place, even if they do wiggle a little bit.

Have you tried running those same RAM sticks in another MoBo? Could be a manufacturing flaw in the RAM slots, maybe?
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2009
    Sorry for the late response. ;)

But I don't think I have a vibrating case, not more than usual anyway.
    Maybe it is the sheer weight of the modules, it is Corsair Dominator, they are quite large and a bit heavier than normal modules.

Unfortunatly I cannot test it in another motherboard, but at least they didn't fall out of my old Abit motherboard. (It had a lot of other problems though ;) )

One wierd thing with this Asus board, there are two types of different clips on the memory slots.
    Two slots have a sturdy clip and the other two have clips that are somewhat smaller.
    I find that quite strange and have not seen it before?

Here is an image that shows the clips, a slight difference is noticeable.
    memory_tn.jpg