Samsung R610 XP Drivers

FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
edited September 2009 in Science & Tech
Hi Guys and Gals,

Been a while since I posted on here so thought I'd give you all a challenge.

I've been searching top to bottom for these drivers without any success.. I've even contacted Samsung direct and they are unwilling to help.

I have a Samsung R610 laptop which is on Vista Home Premium (which is what it came with). I want to downgrade the beauty of a laptop to XP (because lets face it, you can't go wrong with XP).. As the HDD is SATA and you need to load external drivers for SATA in XP's setup. I have searched top to bottom of the internet (obviously not well enough because I haven't found a soltuin) for the drivers to be able to install XP on the laptop.

I'm wondering if anyone here can spare a hand in the search for the mysterious drivers and possibly help in getting this to work. I'm ashamed to say I'm in IT Support as I have failed to figure this one out!

Your assistance is welcome! Below is the link directly to the Samsung info so you can see the specs etc :)

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=itbusiness&type=notebookcomputers&subtype=rseries&model_cd=NP-R610-FS03UK&fullspec=F

Thanks!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    It's an Intel chipset. It's a safe bet that the drivers are here: //icrontic.com/uploads/2009/07/Matrix.Storage.Manager.8.9.0.1023.Win7.ALL.zip

This archive contains the most recent drivers for Intel's AHCI-enabled southbridges on all current Windows OSes.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited September 2009
    Thanks Thrax, I'll give that a try.. Do you think I'll be able to stick them on a USB stick and when it prompts me (F6) to add extra drivers, that will work????
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    With XP, I think only a floppy (or slipstreaming them onto the install disc) would work. Vista and higher allowed use of flash drives.
    edited September 2009
    XP does not allow a USB key. You'll need to slipstream the drivers (best choice), or use a floppy.
    edited September 2009
    Don't have a floppy.. nLite the best program to slip stream it in? If not, any other suggestions?

XP FTW!
    edited September 2009
    This is the part where I officially mention that a laptop like that should have Windows 7, not XP.

That said: http://icrontic.com/articles/slipstream_windows_xp/
    edited September 2009
    I did have Windows 7 on it but it had no end of trouble with getting on the wireless.. The supposed extra security that encyprted the WEP key actually stopped it from connecting properly.. I'd only have the Release Candidate at the minute as I don't have enough cash to buy it :(
    edited September 2009
    WEP is WEP. Windows 7, XP and Vista aren't any different in their interpretation. Sounds like you just needed a new network driver.
    edited September 2009
    I tried to figure it out and some people said that in Windows 7 there was an option somewhere random (I can't remember where now).. But when I go to the connection properties it gave me a load of numbers instead of my WEP key.. And when I entered my WEP key in my internet came back again for a short amount of time (I may be barking up the wrong tree here but it was the most obvious issue)
    edited September 2009
    I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Honestly, and I don't mean to be rude, but I think you might have been doing something wrong.

Connecting to wifi on 7 is as easy as clicking the icon in the system tray, selecting the network, and entering the key. There are no random options or extra encryption steps.
    edited September 2009
    Is there a proper release out yet or are you on Release Candidate still?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    RC until October 22nd for normal consumers. MSDN and corporate partners have full versions already, but the rest of us are waiting.
    edited September 2009
    There is with MSDN access, but the RC works identically to retail in this regard. :)
    edited September 2009
    Thanks Thrax, I followed your guide on nLite.. I'm putting XP on for the time being as I'm studying my 70-270 and it will help whenever I need anything.. Once Windows 7 has been out for a while I will be getting it and upgrading once I have passed my MCP :)
    edited September 2009
    Thrax, thanks for your help.. I did create a slipstreamed Windows XP disc which I tested on a VM machine and it worked beautifully. I'm going to keep that as a test machine as a VM and I have decided to go to Windows 7 as my friend can get a copy for £30 as a student! Student discounts FTW! lol.

Thanks again, feel free to close the thread :)
    edited September 2009
    I'm glad everything worked out for you, sir! :D