Any suggestions for a TV tuner software to match Vista Media Centre?

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited October 2009 in Science & Tech
Here's the situation - I have a dual boot system with XP and Vista installed. I find that the only reason I ever use Vista over XP is for the TV recording/viewing functionality. I would love to be able to use XP for this and do away with Vista until I see what Windows 7 turns out like. Does anyone know of a decent freeware alternative to Vista Media Centre's TV recording/viewing capabilities. I have researched MythTV but it is over my head and can't seem to find anything else. Unless someone knows of a link for a one click install of MythTV for XP?

BTW - the program that came with my tuner card is useless (Cyberlink Power Cinema) as it gets very bad reception if any when trying to tune channels.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    As far as MythTV goes, I'm pretty sure it's Linux only software. There might be a frontend for Windows but the backend (last I looked into it anyway) was only on Linux and without the backend the frontend is useless. Supposedly MythBuntu is pretty darn easy to get up and running. That would require that you run Linux though. As for Windows 7, I can vouch for it as being very nice. I hated Vista and chose XP over it as well but Windows 7 got me to switch. I'd say make the plunge.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    I say just get Win 7. I have (along with many here) been using it since the Beta release and have nothing but good to say about it. It will deliver the best of both worlds and have coffee and toast ready in the morning!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, Windows 7 will give you XP's performance with Vista's tuner capabilities, plus more robustness.
  • edited October 2009
    If you do not want to switch to Windows 7, check the PVR software list at Wikipedia. I would suggest trying MediaPortal or GB-PVR first.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited October 2009
    Thanks to all. I didn't realise that Media Portal had TV capabilities (doh!) I stopped using it a while back as it was a little too unstable for my liking but I might re-investigate that option first. Sounds like Windows 7 has impressed a lot of people so once I've saved the ca$h I'll have a look.

This might also be the kick in the pants I need to finally explore Linux a bit deeper.