Video Editing Software

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited November 2009 in Science & Tech
I recently got myself a Canon Rebel T1i (500D). The thing shoots video that gets stored on an SD card as mov file. I am looking for a software to use to edit these files - mostly to cut scenes out so I can just keep the good stuff. Freeware would be preferable :bigggrin:

As an aside, I don't expect using the video function a lot. So a simple, user friendly software without unnecessary bells and whistles would be perfect. For stills I use PS to edit them. I have access to Adobe CS2 via my wife, but I don't think it offers much regarding video editing.

Many thanks

Frank

PS: Initial unedited test video here.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Adobe Premiere CS2 has all the features that a beginning editor could possibly need.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Hm, the version of CS2 my wife uses doesn't seem to include Premiere. There is GoLive, Illustrator, Image Ready, InDesign and PhotoShop. I have only used the latter two. I'd say I am reasonably familiar with PS, and have a basic working knowledge of InDesign.

For video editing, I came across Avidemux last night, and like it ok. Editing mov files is a breeze, but once I save the edited video, I can no longer open it on any player including VLC player, which usually plays everything. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Posted in the Avidemux forum, but so far no luck :(

Frank
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited November 2009
    Have you tried Windows Movie Maker?
    edited November 2009
    Yes - a fantastic tool if you want your computer to freeze up. I can have Photoshop with a gazillion huge files running and countless other programs, and never an issue. But start Windows Movie Maker - nothing else open - and my machine is guaranteed to freeze up in under 1min :thumbsdow

That's on my laptop running Vista. My desktop has more RAM and generally more umpf, but runs XP. Windows Movie Maker for XP can't open mov files using the H.264 codec, which is what my camera produces.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Windows Movie Maker for Windows 7 can.

I have been using Premiere Elements for a while now and have been pleasantly surprised at how full-featured it is. It's only $99.

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=icrontic-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&m=amazon&f=ifr&md=10FE9736YVPPT7A0FBG2&asins=B002IJA1DM&quot; style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2009
    Agreed with CB and, consequently, Prime. Get Premiere Elements. Will do everything you want to do and still have most of the guts of a professional level non-linear editor. And it's affordable!
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited November 2009
    Premiere is very good but it isn't free. I used both Premier and Final Cut Pro On Mac at uni and they are both quality.

Before you buy Premiere have a look at Jahshaka. It is very similar to Premier and is open source. I had a little play a while back and it is very good too. If you don't like it or it doesn't work on your system then try premier.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited November 2009
    I'm trying to think of a really good cheap or free one, iMovie isn't bad if you're on a Mac, I haven't tried Premier Elements. Sony Vegas gets a lot of love out there.

I've done a frickload of editing with highend tools and I go back and forth between Avid and Final Cut Studio. Avid's nice but EXTREMELY temperamental and difficult to learn but once you do it's blazing fast at straight up editing. Final Cut Studio's a very solid package all around, I have plenty of complaints but it's the one I would recommend if you had a Mac and wanted to spend that much. I'm deeply, deeply infatuated with Color, it's finicky but I <3 it.

Another decent option for simple stuff is just to use Quicktime Pro, you won't want to do anything major with it but there's a lot more under the hood then most people get to.

These days I do the majority of my editing in the compositing app Fusion, but I know a lot of people who use After Effects for short edits as well.
    edited November 2009
    I just checked the Twitters, I have a lot of video production guys who follow me and Premiere Elements seems to be the leading recommendation, Movavi and Roxio Creator have also been mentioned. I've also hear Pinnacle Studio is a good product and it's pretty dang affordable.
    edited November 2009
    I'm telling you; I've used Premiere Pro in the past and Premiere elements is amazingly full featured. I'm hard pressed to find things that a normal "hobbyist" guy like myself cannot do with it.
  • ScizSciz Chesterfield
    edited November 2009
    It depends how advanced of video editing you want to do. Windows movie maker is surprisingly easy and has some neat features. It's limited but afterall it's free. So if you want to do more advanced stuff then use Premiere and if you want to do crazy stuff you should look up Avid Media and the industry standard which is Final Cut Pro. However, I believe Final Cut is MAC only now so if you have Windows OS then use Avid.

If you want to add effects and such then just use After Effects from the CS2 version and you can do video editing as well as FX editing. It just depends on what you want to do. There are plenty of tutorial videos out there to help you get started with any program.
    edited November 2009
    I've downloaded the trial version of Premiere Elements, and I'd have to agree with Prime that there seems to be no lack of features. In fact, there is so much that it's hard for me to find out how to do what I want to do due to all the unnecessary gizmos (for me).

I've tried a number of different video editing programs over the last week or so, and most seem geared towards taking video clips, photos and so on and combining them into a movie while adding titles, special effects and so on. What I want to do is cut video clips to removed the undesired parts. Adding stuff is not important to me - at least not at this point. For example in Premiere, cutting clips is not easy or straightforward to do - or at least I haven't quite worked out how to do it yet. For example if there was a function to remove individual frames, that would be awesome, but is there?
    edited November 2009
    cutting is as easy as getting out the razorblade tool,and clicking on the timeline.
    edited November 2009
    razorblade tool - ah! I will have to have a look for that!

It's easy to forget in hindsight, but I had similar troubles starting with Photoshop to manipulate still images back when I started scanning slides with my Minolta Scan Dual II film scanner. In the early days the software for that scanner was so bad that the colors would come out all wrong, and doing color correction in PS was darn near impossible for me - until I found Dan Margulis' book Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction. How have you folks learned to use Premiere - is there a good online guide or a book somebody can recommend?

I was never planning to get into video the same way I am into still photography. So I though I could save myself some trouble by findign a simpler software, but maybe that's not the way to go.
    edited November 2009
    edited November 2009
    Premiere-Elements.jpg

That's my screen with Premiere Elements, and I can see no razorblade tool - or any other tools for that matter :crazy:
    edited November 2009
    That looks about as different as possible from my screen. I didn't realize how different Premier Elements looks from Premier.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited November 2009
    I would still recomend you give Jahshaka a go. Its free so install, see what you think and remove if you don't like. You have nothing to lose.
    edited November 2009
    Sciz wrote:
    So if you want to do more advanced stuff then use Premiere and if you want to do crazy stuff you should look up Avid Media and the industry standard which is Final Cut Pro. However, I believe Final Cut is MAC only now so if you have Windows OS then use Avid.

Actually, Avid is the industry standard still in a lot of markets, it completely dominates the high-end film industry and in broadcast while FCP has become the major player in indie/low budget films and commercials. TV shows are a mix of the two.

Rich, isn't Jahshaka more of a compositing and visual effects tool?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited November 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    Rich, isn't Jahshaka more of a compositing and visual effects tool?

You mean like after effects? It has been ages sinse i played with it but im sure I used it as video editing package. I may be wrong though
    edited November 2009
    Rich - Jashaka sounded perfect - free, open source, just my kind of thing :thumbup

Installed it as soon as you posted the first time. Was worried it might not be able to open files from the T1i, because Jashaka 2.0 seems quite old (2006), and the 3.0 versions seems to be much anticipated but so far elusive. To my surprise, Jashaka 2.0 opened my file just fine, and even plays the movie. So far so good.

The catch is, for the life of me I cannot work out how to cut or trim a video clip with Jashaka. There is a help button, but nothing happens when you click on it, and otherwise documentation about the program seems non existent.

What I love about Jashaka is the mode where you get all the frames side-by-side and can scan through them by pulling the 'film-strip' across the screen with the mouse. Now if I could work out how to delete frames in that mode, I'd be happy!

Jashaka.jpg
    edited November 2009
    I just found this page:
    The jahshaka editing module is new and improved, currently only on linux but with RC2 Osx and windows for our final release!

:sad2::sad2::sad2:
    edited November 2009
    I'm telling you Frank, Premiere Elements is the one for you; just use the help docs to learn how to edit clips. It involves cutting clips with the scissors tool and then dragging the edges to eliminate sections.
    edited November 2009
    Brian - from what I can see, it appears that in Elements you can only eliminate frames at the beginning and end of a clip. What I really want to do is eliminate some frames here and there all over the clip. My test video is of that wretched chipmunk, but most of my videos will be of my fish tanks. I have one straight from the camera on Youtube here. As it happens, the fish sometimes dart off and you get some really unsharp frames, or I adjust the focus (the T1i only really allows for manual focus in video mode), and again, you get some frames that I'd rather not have as part of the final clip. If I have to split the clip every time I want to remove a couple of frames, just because the software doesn't allow me to remove frames from the middle of a clip, just at the ends, that is unbelievably painful!

I am very surprised that what I am looking for seems such an unusual feature. But apparently nobody else wants to remove frames from clips. Does everybody just stitch stuff together to create their movies :grumble:

Oh, another problem I have with Elements is that it seems very bloated. The only way I can work with this program in on my desktop, but I have recently taken a liking to working on my laptop, but it takes forever and a day for Elements to even start on that thing - let alone do anything. I hardly notice a difference when working with Photoshop on either machine, so I am surprised that Elements slows down the laptop so much.
    edited November 2009
    fmueller wrote:

I am very surprised that what I am looking for seems such an unusual feature. But apparently nobody else wants to remove frames from clips. Does everybody just stitch stuff together to create their movies :grumble:

Yes. This is how video editing is done. One once had to edit video with a razor-blade and some tape, and modern tools use visual representations of that process.

You just need to slice the video on either side of the frames you want to remove, then delete those frames, and drag the pieces together again.

You might find a program out there that has fewer of the features you don't need, but you won't find a program that does what you want to do any better (or any more like you want) than Premier.
    edited November 2009
    Yes, that is how video editing is done. You just have to try to wrap your head around it at first, but once it clicks, it makes perfect sense as to why it is still done this way; it is the most efficient way to work.

Video editing is not a light task. Honestly, it only became tolerable when I moved to quad core and 4gb of ram. Once I got 8gb of ram, things got a lot better, and when I upgraded to a high end video card, it became a joy.

That's one of the reasons I spec'ed out the Ultimate HTPC so high - you can edit home videos on that box.
    edited November 2009
    Well, I guess it makes perfect sense if you think of a strip of film - but that it still needs to be done that way in the digital film studio makes no sense to me. There is a lot you can do in Photoshop that people in a traditional darkroom could only dream of! Never mind, I am grateful to you guys for enlightening me regarding the normal workings of video editing programs. I guess I can now stop looking for a feature that simply does not seem to exist! I think I have 26 more days to play with Elements for free, and will then most likely buy it. I'll also have to forget about using my laptop for video editing (only 2GB of RAM) and use my desktop in the meantime (XP Pro maxed out at 4GB RAM). It might be a good excuse to upgrade to Windows 7 at some stage for more RAM and possibly also a better processor. I guess my AMD Athlon 64 3700+ doesn't earn me much bragging rights around here any more :D

Many thanks to all of you for your help!
    edited November 2009
    I almost never razor blade the clips, it's all about the art of in and out points for me. I'm such a JKL workflow nerd.
    edited November 2009
    Also, if you really get into editing a friend of mine, John Flowers, runs an awesome podcast about post-production called That Post Show, look it up on iTunes or find the links on John's site. The ultimate place to learn hardcore production stuff including some great editing classes is FXPHD.