One of 4 PC's can't access web but is connecting to network

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited November 2009 in Science & Tech
This is the problem:

I have four PC's on a network using a hub which then connects to my modem. My main PC connects directly into a second port on my modem. All my PC's have had no problem connecting to each other or to the net up until two days ago when I found that my wife's PC in the study will no longer connect to the net, although it is still able to access the network and shows no problem with "Local Connection".

All our PC's run XP and Vista except for hers. She stubbornly refuses to change from Windows 2000 as it is her preferred O/S and for what she does there is no real reason for her to change/upgrade to XP. So - based on that can anyone recommend a way to get her back on the net or what the problem may be?

Cheers.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2009
    If you open up a command prompt can you ping web address and have them resolve?

For example if you issue the command: ping www.google.com
    Do you get an IP address back?
    If not sounds like a DNS issue. If you do get an IP response then it's a browser issue.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited November 2009
    Nope - no response from ping test and all settings (ie primary DNS, secondary DNS and IP address) all set to obtain automatically. It's got me puzzled, especially the fact that (as far as I'm aware) nothing has been altered on this PC since a few days back when it was getting internet access no problem!?!? I don't think it is browser related as Skype, email and AVG updates are not connecting either. Any thoughts?

I don't really want to reinstall O/S if at all possible (but it may be a good way to get her using XP hehehe)....
    edited November 2009
    oops sorry - must have type-o'ed the first time as I tried again just now to show wifey and it got a response (doh) but still no internet connection. Iny ideas what I should do next?
    edited November 2009
    Try going into IE tools, Advanced tab and reset your browser. Alternatively download firefox on another machine and install it.
    edited November 2009
    Thanks kryyst - followed both of your suggestions and we now have internet access again on her PC.
    It also means that my wife now has a good reason to start using Firefox instead of IE as her default browser (which I've been trying to convince her of for a couple of years now).
    Thanks again for your help.
    edited November 2009
    Good stuff.