Office 2007 vs. Office XP, 2003\Office 2007 File Converter Patch

RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
edited December 2009 in Science & Tech
My school district moving from Office 03 & XP to Office 2007.

Just encountered this issue, and thought I'd spread the word.

If this is old news, sorry!

Problem:

The uninstalling of MS Office 2007 File Converter Patch, which may have been installed to allow our Office XP users to open and view Office 2007 documents is the problem.

If this patch is uninstalled AFTER the Office 2007 installation, it will make files with Office 2007 extensions (.xlsx, .docx, etc) inaccessible.

Solution:

Remove File Converter Patch before installing Office 2007.

Or

Run a repair install of Office 2007 to fix the problem.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2009
    Good to know. I wasn't aware of the issue. Thanks.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited December 2009
    Ditto. Is there a problem getting Macs to work with 07 extensions? I've got some Macs, did some Googling on this and found some confusion. Seems to depend on what sort of Tiger (or whatever Jobs is calling things now) you've got.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited December 2009
    wow, your district is making the move to 2007 just when 2010 is about to come out.....I love how slow some IT departments move; thanks to things like budgets that are controlled by people who don't know anything about computers besides they need one.

Good to know that the patch should be removed before installing 2007 and that the repair tool fixes the issue. although unless your doing an upgrade I would think dumping all office related software before installing 2007 would be smart. upgrades are their own beast. Thanks for sharing
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited December 2009
    School districts move at glacial paces when it comes to upgrading core software or technology.

I still have 800mhz PCs in service.. *sigh
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited December 2009
    RADA wrote:
    School districts move at glacial places when it comes to upgrading core software or technology.

I still have 800mhz PCs in service.. *sigh

QFT

Some move a little faster when they realize that the students are not getting skills that will help them get into college or get a job. sadly most don't care whether the students get an education or not, or expect students to use their "home" computer for any real technology education.