CPU cooler-How tight is to tight???

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited January 2010 in Hardware
I have a direct heat pipe CPU cooler and bought a retention bracket simular to the OCZ Force LGA 775 Retention Brackets - Gladiator Max to give me a more secure install for a large cooler.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/cooling_products/ocz_force_lga_775_retention_brackets-gladiator_max.

With this setup the cooler (air) is placed on the CPU (a 775) and screws go through brackets on the cooler through the mobo and screws into a bracket on the bottom side of the mobo. I want to tighten it down so I have the best contact betweem cpu and cooler. I don't want to overtighten and cause damage or have it to loose. Is there a torque value (inch pounds) I should go by or just do it by feel?:respect::respect::respect:

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Does your bracket have springs like the OCZ?

There is no set value in in-lbs, but just try to eye it and compress the springs the same amount. I normally reduce the spring height by about 1/4 to 1/3 of uncompressed height.
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited January 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Does your bracket have springs like the OCZ?

There is no set value in in-lbs, but just try to eye it and compress the springs the same amount. I normally reduce the spring height by about 1/4 to 1/3 of uncompressed height.

Yes it has 4 springs, one at each corner.