Console History

jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
edited February 2010 in Gaming
Saw this on reddit, and while I know many of you have probably seen it, I thought it was too good not to pass along to fellow ICers.

Man I really loved some of these old systems. Master System, SNES, Dreamcast!

attachment.php?attachmentid=28176&stc=1&d=1265684537

Comments

• chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2010
    Great stats, thanks Jared!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    The Playstation and PS2 sold in such unbelievably high amounts...

I own 9/14!
    edited February 2010
    What's up with that SNES? It's fugly.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I've only ever seen one like that. I believe it is the PAL version of the console.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    This is the one I have. Still have, actually. It's somewhere in a closet.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28178&stc=1&d=1265724643
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2010
    Only problem with those graphs are if they are based on total consoles sold. They lack real relevance. Concurrent game sales are the only market share that matters in console wars. The fact that my old PS/1 is in my friends basement so his kid can use it lacks any relevance. Just as meaningless is that my original xbox is still being used but primarily as a media center.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    What's amazing to me is that 10 years after it's initial release, the PS2 is still being manufactured and sold in retail stores. It's quite impressive, actually.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    And that until a few months ago it consistently outsold the PS3.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Obsidian wrote:
    And that until a few months ago it consistently outsold the PS3.

Yes, there is also that. ;D
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited February 2010
    Now PS3 is outselling Xbox 360, looks like things are changing...
    edited February 2010
    Only for a month. Microsoft retook second place in January and already has more consoles out. Obviously the PS3 Slim is helping Sony considerably though, I may even have to pick one up myself.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    When the PS3 starts consistently outselling the 360, it'll be because of market saturation on the 360's part, not the stellar capabilities of the PS3 - though some of the new games that are coming out for the PS3 are starting to take proper advantage of the hardware.
    edited February 2010
    Agreed, if I didn't have a 360 I'd pick it up first, but I find myself wanting to add a PS3 to my setup more and more. I really want want to play Flower, Uncharted 1/2, Demon's Souls, LittleBigPlanet, Killzone 2 and MAG (in that order).
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    LBP (for me) is clever, but a rent, and KZ2 is eye candy only. Nothing spectacular.

Props for wanting to play Demon's Souls - that game is brutal.

I'm looking forward to MAG, Heavy Rain, and... ok, ok, I'm sort of interested in Dante's Inferno, too. There, I said it.
    edited February 2010
    I saw a lot of MAG but it didn't look that good. I have very high hopes for Heavy Rain, if it lives up to them that will probably be the driving force behind me picking up a PS3. God of War 3 and FFXIII are no doubt going to be great too.