Minimum System Requirements for HTPC (Budget Ver.)

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited February 2010 in Hardware
Looking for input on an HTPC capable of playing Blu Ray with HDMI and Optical outs. That's all this pc is going to do. Really looking for 100% budget version without sacrificing video/audio quality. I have an IR/RF remote that I want to use so that can be taken into consideration. Also maybe some input on software (MythTV vs. WMC)... I am a linux newb but could probably stumble through if the extra trouble is worth it. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Maybe one important note: I want Blu Ray ripping and DVD ripping ability (I would only rip content that is not copyrighted)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Athlon II X4, Gigabyte 785G motherboard, cheapest BD-ROM you can find. MythTV, Boxee or WMC are all very good. WMC will probably be the easiest for you to get running with.

Add 4GB of RAM, shove it in an HTPC case, mix and serve.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited February 2010
    So that answers my primary question of whether onboard video can play 1080p well enough. Any knowledge of avcore? Is that suggested?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I don't know what avcore is, but it's certainly not anything essential--or even marginally required--to operate an HTPC.
    edited February 2010
    Great thank you for your help
    edited February 2010
    Oops. Just for the record I typoed.. It's CoreAVC and I believe it's a codec pack though I'm not really sure exactly its relevance.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I'm a bit late to the game here, but you might consider checking out Myka.tv Ion. You can add a BluRay drive to it, runs Windows 7 and Ubuntu, handles any media you can throw at it and comes in a nice condensed package, with a remote too!