Boot-Freeze Problem

edited June 2003 in Hardware
I know I had left ShortMedia, but this is pretty much the only knowledgeable techsupport base I know, so here goes.

Dad's computer has gone wacky. He tries to boot it but it freezes at the blue windows screen. The cursor sill moves, but all it says is Welcome to Windows XP and stays there. It won't even boot in safe mode.

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    Dunno what's causing it, but I've got a guaranteed way to fix it:

<ol>Step 1- (optional) Backup data:
    <li>Remove the HD from your Dad's system
    <li>Put HD in your system, or another system, leaving that system's regular HD hooked up
    <li>Copy all files that you need from your Dad's system to a folder on the other hard drive
    <li>Do a quick format on your Dad's hard drive in Windows on the other computer (optional)
    </ol>

<OL>Step 2- Reinstall OS
    <li>Put your Dad's hard drive back in his system, hook it all back up.
    <li>Flash your Dad's MB to the latest BIOS if doesn't have it already (optional, but now is a perfect time to do it, so you may as well)
    <li>Make sure that the BIOS in your Dad's system is set to boot off the CD before trying to boot off the hard drive
    <li>Dig out your Windows CD
    <li>Reinstall Windows. When it asks you what to do with the drive's file system, do a full format (not the "Fast Format" option) using the NTFS file system
    </ol>

<ol>Step 3- Reinstalling drivers & software
    <li>Download the most current drivers for your Dad's computer's chipset, video card, sound card, etc. etc.
    <li>Install drivers. Install the chipset driver first, restart, then install the video drivers. After that, the order doesn't matter.
    <li>Install software.
  • edited June 2003
    Thanks for getting us on the right track geeky. we appreciate it.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Can you boot to your original install cd and do a repair?
    You still need to protect the data.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    I have had this happen to me twice. The first time, I shut down, re-seated all cables, cards, and memory, and it then worked fine.

The second time, nothing would work. I had to do a repair install.

I believe in my case it was a matter of the system waiting for the video and/or audio drivers to load. It always hung at the place where the screen would blink and I would hear the nice little "Tssst" noise my SB Live! makes when it is initialized. If you feel like trying it, you might want to remove your sound card and temporarily replace your video card with an old one. Maybe it would give windows a little kick in the butt.

Good Luck,

Prof

PS: If you haven't done so already, please give us your input in the “Utilities Discussion – Week2” thread under General Software!!! This week we are asking for your recommended programs in these categories: HD Speed benchmark, CD Drive Speed Benchmark, Video Performance benchmark:nudge: