Please help - can't get XP to connect when WEP is enabled!!!

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited July 2010 in Science & Tech
Hi guys - this is REALLY starting to frustrate me and I can't find anything via Google so am hoping someone here might come to the rescue?

I have a NetComm ADSL+2 modem which mt TP Link Wireless router then connects to. I have no trouble with the set up for a t least a couple of years. My main laptop connects to the wireless network with no problems. I have just obtained a new laptop for my wife which is running XP. I am using a USB wireless dongle for her to access the network but it will only let me connect if I disable the WEP password in my router. So it does connect and it does locate the router it just refuses to connect if I have WEP password set. I have logged into the router and changed the password a couple of times and have set the password in XP but still no luck......any suggestions? I', at my wits end....do I need to configure the IP, DNS, Subnet Gateway etc manually....I tried this using my router details and failed also....grrrrrrrrrr:confused:

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Whatever drivers the laptop came with, replace them with the latest from the manufacturer; if the wireless zero tools are enabled, replace them with the manufacturer's configuration tool. Also, make sure you're running XP SP3.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited July 2010
    OK cool - I'll update to SP3....but yeah I've tried the proprietry software that came with the dongle and the Windows generic wireless utility but no luck with neither....hmmmm......just puzzling that it works when the password is disabled....thanks for your reply
  • edited July 2010
    hi all,

recently i have met a problem of internet connection. i just changed to use my senior PC, but i now can't connect to the internet through the connection i made by XP. strange things is simply create a connection then can connect on other PC.
    situation:
    after i create a connection, set number to dial to *99#, and disable IP header compression. then when i connect it, always failed at "Registering your computer on the network". so then Error is: Error 720, A connection to the remote computer could not be established.

any expert can give a a guide? thanks!...
    edited July 2010
    OK - well....I have tried a different USB dongle and it works so it's obviously a problem with the dongle and/or driver I downloaded for it (can't find the original disc).....so I'll just purchase a new dongle and all should be OK....

Cheers,
    B.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    One other thing to check is if the transmission keys (I think?) match - WEP can use a couple of different indexes or something, and if they don't match, you won't connect. Should be able to see which index you're using on your router setup page, and then there should be a setting somewhere in the driver for the dongle as well.

New dongle's easier, though. :)
    edited July 2010
    Yeah - for sure. New dongle's on it's way and we can get by til then. I did notice in Windows 7 (I decided to upgrade her) where it gives the option to show password characters, that it had adapted my ASCII password of 5 characters to the hexadecimal equivalent....also, when I did get her new laptop connected to the network with my dongle I had to join the "Homegroup" and enter a "Homegroup" password which is different again....so it just aint easy anymore!!!! Probably more secure though so......meh....