Serious electrical problem with FIOS system?

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Hardware
Hello all, not sure if this is the best forum, but there are allot of smart folks here, and I have a really strange situation that I think I have troubleshoot it, but I would love some confirmation that my troubleshooting makes good sense. It is an electrical problem, and I assure you all precautions have been taken at this point to shut off the proper circuits and such.

Okay, so my son had a major issue the other day, out of nowhere the breaker tripped to his room when a light was turned on in the bathroom on the same circuit. No big deal, turn light off, turn off unnecessary items and reset the breaker, then bam, small electrical fire starts at the Motoroloa HD FIOS box, current, or waste heat went into the HDMI signal line because it literary welded it on (They should have gotten me on video while I was trying to remove it)

Anyhow, What we did is we saw where the burns were coming from on the cable box, we tested it on another outlet without the signal input cable from the FIOS connected, no spark, no fire, but as soon as we plugged it back in, with the source cable connected, it was actually a bit on the scary side, immediate electrical ignition. So, here is my question, could there be something faulty in the FIOS signal line itself? Does that make any sense? Its like the signal line is the cause, then the energy moves clean through the HDMI? Static in the line somehow perhaps? Some other kind of short or ground fault in the signal cable? Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?

Thanks all.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    From my experience with FIOS: there shouldn't be any power on that line, as I believe it goes outside line --> ONT (powered) --> coax cable --> your boxes (TV/router). However, if the FIOS box shorted or something, there could be a fault occurring when that cable gets connected (so that the TV box is connected to the ONT). My guess is that the TV box is your bad component.