How to connect fans?

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Hardware
I am converting my old rig to an HTPC, and got myself a snazzy HTPC case (Silverstone Grandia GD01B-R) so my wife won't complain about an eye sore in the living room.

I've got all my stuff in the case, and it fits handsomely. My one remaining problem is that the case comes with two built in 80mm fans. For the life of me I can't figure out how to provide these things with power. Neither my mobo (Biostar Geforce6100-M9 nVidia Socket 939) nor my Power Supply (OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W) seem to have the required connections.

Grateful for any thought or suggestions!

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I'm assuming they're the standard 3-pin fan connectors, right? There should be plenty (usually 5 or 6) of 3- or 4-pin headers on the motherboard all over the place. You can use the 3-pin fans on the 4-pin headers - the 4th pin is usually for speed regulation, and isn't required.

Check your mobo manual for fan headers, they should circle them on a layout of the board in there.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Old mobo, but I found one 3-pin header that I can use for my purposes. I must have been blind before. I have two in total, one is in use for the processor fan already. Since I need one more, I ordered one of these contraptions. It should allow me to hook one fan up directly to the PS. Many thanks!