Google Chrome Stability issues?

Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Science & Tech
Anyone else expericing frequent crashes in Google Chrome using Windows 7? My Windows XP experience at work was rock solid with the latest release, but on Windows 7 64 bit it seems to have major stability issues on both my work and home machines.

Anyone else having problems? Any suggestions on what may be causing the frequent crashes? I can't get through a single session without it going down, otherwise, systems are completely stable.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I had weird Chrome issues but then I realized I had an old, broken theme.

Clear out your preferences and do a completely fresh install?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Also make sure you're not pulling development builds. I did that for a while and kept crashing/having rendering issues.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'll try clean installing on each machine and let everyone know. It was so bad on my home machine that it would not only crash the browser, it would actually blue screen Windows. Without Chrome for a couple days now just running IE9, I have not been having any issues.

I'm eager to try a re install, I really love Chrome. I'll let you know if it resolves things.
    edited June 2011
    I owe the nice people at Google an apology. It was not the browser, or not theirs specificly (because IE tured out to be crash happy too), its how my browser and server settings were configured for automatic. Switched to manual, and all the problems seem to be resolved on both systems.

I need to remember to look at the event logs before jumping to conclusions.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I run Iron instead of Chrome... You might want to have a look.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php
    edited June 2011
    Rare moment here on Icrontic, get ready for it.....

I was wrong again, and, it kills me to admidt this but in both cases I did really sloppy video driver installs without doing a driver sweep prior to upgrading, and my AMD video drivers were all jacked up and causing system crashes and instability.

So Google, I'm sorry, it was not your browser, but more my combination of stupidity combined with a less than user friendly driver install process from our friends at AMD.

So yes, I was wrong, and I said something semi critical about AMD on the Icrontic boards. Mark this day, it may never happen again. :crazy:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    wait a minute...
    Cliff wrote:
    I did really sloppy video driver installs
    and
    Cliff wrote:
    but more my combination of stupidity

so, you're blaming AMD, got it :hrm:
    edited June 2011
    Well, hear me out. Technically you should just be able to install drivers over existing drivers, and it all should be seamless, but we know things just don't work this way so we either use driver sweeper, or manually uinstall and clean the directories before a fresh install. I failed to do this and paid the price of a system that was unstable as hell.

I admidt, Rookie error on my part, but the driver update process could be a little better to aleaviate this. Just sayin.
    edited June 2011
    Cliff, I've been installing new AMD video drivers over existing video drivers for years now. The days of cleaning out an old video driver ended a LONG time ago.

Now are you talking about a 6 year old WinXP machine or something?
    edited June 2011
    Nope, Windows 7 64 bit. I'm tellin ya, in this case, it completely resolved my problem across two systems. It may be an issue specific to the latest driver release, or perhaps jumping from the driver I had previously (I dont think I upgraded for at least three releases now). Not 100% sure, but in each case, I figured, no need to do this anymore, I'll just run the installer, let it take care of buisness, and on the surface everything seemed to go fine, but then I just started having really bizzare crashes, and not while playing games or doing other random stuff, just about always when I was browing the web using Chrome, so I assumed, well, thats odd, something is buggy about the latest Chrome release, but, it turns out my video drivers were borked X2. I manage my work and home machines in a pretty identical mannor, I normally do driver updates around the same time, just to be consistant.

I'm tellin ya, something about how I upgraded the video drivers just did not go right. Not sure I completely understand it, but since I did a driver sweep and re installed everything is back to being rock solid.
    edited June 2011
    odd

glad you didn't have to a:\format c: :)
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I too am experiencing serious stability issues with Chrome over the past 7-10 days. Its gotten so bad over the past several days that I've renamed the desktop shortcut to "IE5"

I've uninstalled. I've reinstalled. Updated. Run dev versions. NOthing helps and it appears to be random on which website causes problems, but usually Flash plugins are present.

I'm thinking a bad driver update about two weeks ago might be the problem, because there was no problem until I updated the driver for my HD5850. This lends me to think I might be in the same boat as Cliff (*shudder*). When I have time later today, I am going to completely wipe the video card drivers and try to reinstall them from as clean a position as I can find...missionary.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Of course, I was browsing this thread on my Google Chromebook, which has been 100% rock solid stable throughout a week of heavy usage during E3, and...

It hard freezes. On this thread. Lulz.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Of course, I was browsing this thread on my Google Chromebook, which has been 100% rock solid stable throughout a week of heavy usage during E3, and...

It hard freezes. On this thread. Lulz.

The lulz, they make me hurt.