Preview of MTG: Commander

SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
edited June 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Is this something Wizards is going to be supporting long-term, or is this their 1-off 2011 multi-player thing?
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited June 2011
    The answer to this question is a two parter. First, Wizards has been supporting Commander since around Zendikar. They deliberately print cards with the target audience being Commander decks. Consecrated Sphinx Sorin Markhov's second ability, and the Eldrazi are good examples.

Whether they directly print summer product for commander is a bit more of a question... it is quite possible these decks will be the only by name support... It has been stated, however, that when Wizards employees are finished in their day of work (playing magic all day in the name of new sets and testing card impact on forums) they resort to Commander as their source for amusement. It would be foolish to believe they wouldn't produce product for something they enjoy that much.

Regardless of any of these facts, cards will always exist that will be monumental for Commander and www.mtgcommander.net is our best reference for the format.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I am excited for these to release. I've been looking forward to getting a hold of 1-2 of them and at least look at the construction. I want to build my own and to have a base to work off of is very useful. And if they want to throw in a Sol Ring, I'm all for it.

-Digi
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Of course, you could just win my MTG draft at EPIC and win all 5 of the decks. ;)
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    I am excited for these to release. I've been looking forward to getting a hold of 1-2 of them and at least look at the construction. I want to build my own and to have a base to work off of is very useful. And if they want to throw in a Sol Ring, I'm all for it.

-Digi
  • SpencerForHireSpencerForHire Clawson, MI
    edited June 2011
    Colgere wrote:
    Of course, you could just win my MTG draft at EPIC and win all 5 of the decks. ;)

*still drooling*

I'm actually on my way to the card show today to pick up a chunk of cards for a Kaalia the Vast deck. :D Never thought I'd be playing red in Commander but here we are.