Can a Win7 laptop print to XP desktop printer?

KokolekaKokoleka Texas Member
edited July 2011 in Science & Tech
Hi!

I need to know if there is a way that a newer laptop with Windows 7 can use a printer that's hooked up to an older desktop with Windows XP?

I tried "sharing" the printer but it doesn't show up on the laptop when I look for it on the network.

I'm not even sure it is possible for them to "talk", is it? Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Also, couldn't find a thread about this so I made a new one, sorry if I missed it. Thanks!

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Yes.
  • KokolekaKokoleka Texas Member
    edited June 2011
    Yes.

Sooo, should I try something different than the computer's instructions on sharing? Um...did I make y'all mad?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Well, you asked a yes/no question and received the proper response :)

Are the 2 computers attached to the same network? Wired or wireless?
    In Control Panel > Printers do you see the little hand holding out the printer icon to denote that it is shared? What did you name it?
    Is file and printer sharing enabled on the XP machine?
    Are the 2 machines in the same workgroup?
    edited June 2011
    Sorry for the confusion about the yes/no response, I need all the help I can possible get and worded the question wrong. Hope I'm not annoying you guys too much :)

I beleive I have found the answers to your questions, and I'll answer them as best I can.
    The computers are in the same Network.
    The laptop is connected to the Network wirelessly, the printer is wired.
    We did see the hand icon on the printer, so it is set to share. The name of it is Printer3
    File and Printer sharing is enabled on the XP machine.
    The two computers are on the same Workgroup.

We have tried alot of stuff to fix this, and are open to suggestions and advice :)
    Thanks for taking the time to help us out!
    edited June 2011
    Just checking to see if my last post got lost in the shuffle?:)
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Kokoleka wrote:
    The laptop is connected to the Network wirelessly, the printer is wired.

you mean the printer is hardwired to a computer, or is on the wired network?

basically, if the printer is shared, you should be able to connect to it by specifying you want to connect to a network pronter, then typing in \\name_of_computer_its_connected_to\printer or if the printer is connected to the wired network, just specify local printer - IP address - use the IP address.
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the reply, your help is appreciated:)
    Sorry it takes us so long to answer, this is my Grandparents computer and we are here only a few days a week.

The way we have it set up, the printer is connected to the main computer by wire, then the main computer connects to the router by a wire. The laptop connects to the network wirelessly.

Tried wirelessly connecting the laptop to the printer via specifying I want it to connect to the network printer and typing in [URL="file://\\computername(DESKTOP\printername(DELL964A"]\\computername(DESKTOP\printername(DELL964A[/URL]) and http:/computername(DESKTOP)/printers/printername(DELL964A)/.printer(there were two options).

When I tried both of these, it gave me the error "Windows couldn't connect to the printer. Check that printer name is correct, and try again. If this is a network printer, make sure that the printer is on and that the printer address is correct." I'm thinking that "address" means the printer's IP address, but I'm not sure where to find that.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Open Devices and Printers on the Laptop. (Windows 7)
    Click "Add a Printer"
    Select "Add a Local Printer"
    When select a port comes up select "Create a new port"
    Port type "Local Port"
    In the Port name box enter \\DESKTOP\Printer3 or whatever the XP computer name is and what the printer SHARE is called...

Right click "My Computer" on the desktop of the XP machine and select Properties.
    In the Computer Name Tab Use the "Full Computer Name" value as the \\computername\
    (I've seen people accidentally put in the Description Box Value...) :)

Right click the printer on the XP machine and select the sharing tab to see what the shared name is. (Try not to have any spaces in the computer name or printer shared name)

The laptop should either add the printer at that point or ask for the printer driver, which you might want to download beforehand from the MFG's site.

Good Luck!
    edited July 2011
    Well, we've tried and re-tried all of your suggestions, but none of them worked. A thought occured to us, so we checked the Dell website, and found that the printer may not be compatible with Windows 7.

The printer is a Dell AIO Photo 964. If anyone has this printer, or knows about the compatability issues, any assistance would be appreciated.

Also, if this is true and they just can't work together, I wanted to tell you guys thanks for trying. :) Your help and time is appreciated, and I'm sorry that this didn't work out.
    ~ Kokoleka and The Gang