Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad gets priced and dated

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    The original Red Orchestra UT2003 mod was an incredible achievement for its time. It was realism focused in a way no shooter was before it. Removing the HUD, having realistic weaponry to the point where things would fire at a realistic rate and distance, then forcing the player really have to use the environment to hide and protect, getting shot meant getting very weak, or dead, no auto healing, no aim assist, it was really innovative. It's a shooter for the truly hardcore gamer. Its probably as close to simulating war as anything has ever come.

While it was a free mod, it had a small community of players. Trouble with the title, is much like another IC favorite, Shattered Horizon, if your going to have a 100% multi player experience, you need to get community support fairly early on or it will die a slow and painful death. Red Orchestra had a very small following, it was dedicated, but sometimes it was hard to get a game going. It breaks my heart when I load SH to see about six players on it worldwide. Such an amazing game, that the kids won't touch because it forces them to think a little more. Competition is massive in multi player shooters right now. I hope it catches on. Kids are into the frantic action of COD that caters to their short attention spans. For them, Red Orchestra is going to be a hard sell. The original was really rewarding for a player who wanted to take his time, and more or less re learn how to play a shooter. I hope they can drum up a community of gamers that are willing to try something that feels and plays new, something that rewards a gamer for strategy, and not just twitch skill.

I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Big fan of the original.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Ugh... I'm so sick of the WWII shooter genre. Don't care how good it is, I've played through every side of that war hundreds of times. Pass.