4-player Settlers of Catan for ~$4 on Android

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Nice. I've been watching for this. The Release date has been listed as simply "June" so I guess they were close.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Would probably be pretty sweet to play it on that Nook, eh? :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Fuck. Yes. IN.
    edited July 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Would probably be pretty sweet to play it on that Nook, eh? :)
    Yes, though it would be even sweeter if each player could play from their own android device. :/
    edited July 2011
    Also, it's not working on the nook. It runs, but the buttons don't all work properly, and it's impossible to input a new name in the player-name field (which means it's impossible to start a new game). Hopefully they update it soon with fixed buttons.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    It may not be tablet-optimized, which really sucks. :( You could send me the APK to see if it does the same on mine?
    edited July 2011
    Searching, I've found that many others are having the same issue, and not just on tablets. :/
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I bought it too!!! AND...

I suck. I cannot win. I get REALLY close 50% of the time but the AI just will not trade with me with any regularity. :(
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I've won once in 7 games. I get pretty unlucky with the robber a LOT, it seems.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    CB wrote:
    Yes, though it would be even sweeter if each player could play from their own android device. :/

So players have to share the device and just pass it around on each turn?
    edited July 2011
    Canti wrote:
    So players have to share the device and just pass it around on each turn?

Yes. It's extra annoying if you have AI players because anytime they want to do some trading on their turn, the game makes you pass the device around so that each person can see the trade and make a decision, and each AI might make 2-3 trade offers per turn.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    It's the same situation for the iOS version. Hopefully both will be fixed with a patch soon. Maybe they could even be interoperable.

For now, it's best experienced as a single-player game to learn the mechanics. I don't regret buying it though because it's difficult to find other players at home.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2011
    I would also agree that its best as a single player game to learn the mechanics and work on your calculated bartering ability. But primarily I think its most valuable tool is to really get a good understanding of the various phases of the game, what resources you need early, middle and late and the best way to get them.

I think Carcassonne is also on it's way to Android and if its as good as the iPad version then I would recommend picking it up. I find it plays much better then Catan because the game itself plays more purely.

Some other fantastic boardgame apps on iPad are Small world and the card game Ascension Chronicles of the God Slayer. I'm not sure if either of these are slated for android releases, but if they are they are very well done. Also there is a Dominion app in the works, but they are trying to figure out the legal issue right now between who hold rights to various things.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    kryyst wrote:
    I think Carcassonne is also on it's way to Android and if its as good as the iPad version then I would recommend picking it up. I find it plays much better then Catan because the game itself plays more purely.

Some other fantastic boardgame apps on iPad are Small world and the card game Ascension Chronicles of the God Slayer. I'm not sure if either of these are slated for android releases, but if they are they are very well done. Also there is a Dominion app in the works, but they are trying to figure out the legal issue right now between who hold rights to various things.
    Agreed on Carcasonne. It's a great translation and works much better for multiplayer since there's nothing to conceal from other players.

I'll have to check out Small World. Love the board game. Never heard of Ascension Chronicles, but I'll give it a look.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2011
    The Small Worlds app only drawback is they limited it to 2 players. But you can play vs AI or a real opponent and it works well in either aspect.

Ascension is deck building card game. The app is very well done I'd say a perfect translation of the real game experience. It supports up to 4 players, real or AI local or remote and the number of remote players is pretty active. Also the remote games will stay saved if you drop out and come back on. They just switch seamlessly between real time and sorta play by post style. Probably the best board to app translation I've seen yet.
    edited July 2011
    Won my first game! Cut a road right down the center of the island and made it tough to build anywhere and I had almost all the sheep to myself to keep me company during those long, cold, and lonely winter nights!!! :D
    edited July 2011
    Everytime I get a notification that updates are ready for my apps, I get all excited that Catan might work on my tablet now, but it's never Catan getting the update. :(
    edited July 2011
    I am starting to win... about 20% of the time. How can "sixs" be rolled less than "fours"... when Q picks a "six". :(
  • edited September 2011
    I wonder if I created problems when I bought the seafarers expansion. Now that I have spent an additional $5 it won't load! I have actually had to delete the game and reload it four or five times in the last week just yo get it working again.
    edited September 2011
    There was an known glitch where it looked like you need to repurchase but they fixed that. I have it on a few devices and no issues. AND, I am winning more often these days. ;)