Dell laptops (before Vostro) and Win 7

Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own wayNaples, FL Icrontian
edited September 2011 in Science & Tech
Dell tells me that Win 7 will not run right on my XPS M1730. Wrong.
The video driver is now an nVidia WHQL version 275.33. Better video.

The Windows 7 install detected my CPU was throttleable on overheat-- however, it installed Windows 7's throttling submodule when it should not have. See, the BIOS (updated) does its own throttling. Major conflict. The only clue was in the Event Viewer logs: the Event Viewer logs, in one entry after another, said something was keeping Win 7 from throttling the CPU. Windows 7 shut down the computer, crashing Folding@Home many times. There were no crash reports or BSODs. After quelling/disabling the throttling service in Windows 7, no more crashes, and Folding is happily folding a p7600-- taking about 55 minutes per 20K steps/1% using the Classic/UI bigadv mode GB core(non-beta).

This trick set might save a few people some time.

John

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Good tips. Thanks, John :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    How do you disable this throttle service in Windows 7?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Some cursory Google searches suggest it can be disabled in the registry. Not sure which key(s), though.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Yes. The Event Viewer, run as Administrator in Safe Mode, will give you its name in the error view if you have any like that. Then search for that name in a registry editor. Regedit comes with Windows 7/32bit-- don't know about 64bit Windows 7. Bingo-- keys displayed.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    But what is the registry key? If Windows 7 has a throttling module, it should be a common key.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I'm relatively certain the only throttling Windows does is with power options. Thermal throttling is controlled through BIOS settings.
    I'd love to be wrong and learn new stuff though.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Should be so. Is not so any more, if power is set up for a laptop.