How to disable the new Metro UI in Windows 8

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited February 2012 in Science & Tech
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and change the value of RPEnabled to 2. Reboot.

Byebye, tiles!

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    or...MS with force feed Metro UI, because you and I aren't the ones buying computers at Best Buy

didn't like Metro UI?
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    If I remember Thrax's twitter posts, Metro made it exceptionally hard to do his every day tasks.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    If I remember Thrax's twitter posts, Metro made it exceptionally hard to do his every day tasks.

It just gets in the way for me. Using the start menu summons the Metro UI, and it's the slowest way I can think of to access applications, menus, blahblahblah. It's GREAT for touchscreens, so great I've even adopted a Metro-like UI for my Nook, but PCs have the luxury of a high-precision mouse, and I don't need massive icons to get shit done.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I'm guessing this is why the free Win8 PCs they gave out at Build were tablets.

I think the best scenario in the final release would be if Windows detects a touchscreen during install: Metro. Otherwise: Ye Olde Starte Menue.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Meh. I'm running this on an Atom tablet. Metro is pretty sweet for tablet nav but they haven't optimized it much by the feel of things. It's clunky. The weather app's animated background causes the whole tablet to choke. It's definitely for next-gen tablets with better-than-Intel GMA graphics.

Think I'm gonna try killing Metro and using the standard UI along with the nice onscreen keyboard. Best of both worlds for me.

Oh, IE 10 on it is hella fast. I love it. Unfortunately I had to install regular old Chrome to run my company's web app. IE didn't load anything correctly.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Bump, because the Windows 8 beta is out today.